none
Outlook 2007 (Word 2007) on Window 2003 Could not save document on FTP server. Cannot Save File. Folder Marked as Readonly

Question

• We have a client who has Office 2007 installed on Windows 2003 server SP2.

I am trying to Save an attachment using SaveAs functionality in outlook to an Ftp server.

FTP server is located on Window 2008 server R2.

But when clicking on SaveAS to FTP drive, first issue is it does not list the virtual directories created on that ftp server.

And second issue is, if I try to save in the main directory i.e. ftp://SERVERNAME/ it gives the message Cannot save filename. Folder Marked as Read only.

Same happens when I do it from Word (SaveAs)

There are no firewall setup blocking this, as saving to the FTP from windows explorer or other application is possible without failure.

Could anyone please help with this.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 12:12 AM

All replies

• I may be wrong, but from the SaveAS dialog box, you cannot specify a URL (ftp://;http://) location.  The only valid paths are UNC paths (\\server\share\) or local paths.  What you will have to have your clients do is save locally, then use Windows Explorer to transfer the file.

You mention that other applications are able to save to the FTP location.  What applications are they?  Do they use the Windows SaveAS dialog box or a custom one?  A good example of this are JAVA applications that have their own version of Save/SaveAS and don't call the Explorer API for the built in Windows Save/SaveAs dialogs.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 12:42 AM
  • Thanks DarienHawk67 for replying.

No Office 2007 on Window 2003 (Also I have done this on Outlook 2010 on Windows 2008 which works) has the option of saving it on ftp locations

I can send you the screen shot of it if you want.

The other application is our application which client is using and it uses FTP commands to save the file.

But I would assume that if Microsoft has provided an option to save on FTP locations in the SaveAs window then it should be able to save it.

The users log remotely to this server and try to save from Outlook.

Basically there is an addin we have which tries to do the same thing(SaveAs) via code and its also failing.

Please note it is working on Windows 2008 - Outlook 2007 and Windows 2008 - outlook 2010 combination.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 12:50 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in Windows Server forum.

Please check the following KB article first. Hope it helps.

How to open documents from FTP site and save documents to FTP site with Office programs
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290142

In addition, this issue may relate to FTP server configure. For best practice, I would suggest that we post this issue at IIS forum. There you can get more effective suggestion by other experts who familiar with this topic. Your understanding is highly appreciated.

IIS Forum

http://forums.iis.net/

Best Regards,
    Aiden

Aiden Cao

TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 16, 2012 5:51 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I dont think thats the issue. 

It is not IIS issue as it works from other computers not just on Windows 2003 server.

In the Support article it shows how to open FTP documents and I am doing the same and it does not save.

It gives the error message folder marked Read only.

It does not list the virtual directories either.

I think its some permission on Windows server to the temporary directories which is causing the issue.

As the save as functionality might be saving to the temp directory on same Computer and then to the FTP server.

Best Regards

Dialog

Friday, March 23, 2012 1:36 AM
  • I agree with Aiden_Cao, it's a IIS issue.

If you acces that path in FTP, then it's a FTP security that block you. Anonymous login ? check your FTP log to validate the error, it will be listed. (ALL paths that are accessible by your IIS (ie; ftproot) is managed by IIS security's account) 

I really think that the user connect in Anonymous if they can't see the virtual path, but again, it's all FTP's security (maybe the way Win2008 authentificate with IIS is differant like it don't use NTLM (integrated Windows authentification), just Anonymous by default. Because you can choose many auth's type for your FTP)

Check, and give the FTP log to validate if you want to continue there, but like Aiden_Cao's told, the IIS's guru does not hang in Win2008 general's forum

MCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring

Friday, March 23, 2012 2:15 AM
  • ok Thanks. I will put it in IIS forums.

Thanks for you help.

Friday, March 23, 2012 2:20 AM