none
2012 Admin sharing

Question

• OK, I am bran new to 2012, but a 15 year sysadmin.  

We have brought on our first 2012 server from a client, and I am having issues with the admin shares.

The naming is a little different

Server name is SERVER1

IP is X.X.X.243

nslookup of the IP is 

NAME1.domain.com

there is no DNS for SERVER1, only NAME1.  

SERVER1 is standalone right now, and may be in the future depending on applications.

On the server itself, there are 2 working shares for the users.

I have been given an local account and made an admin, but I cant access the shares at all, even through the Administrators have been given access.  After I explicitly add myself to the share, I am able to get access with

net use \\NAME1.Domain.com /u:SERVER1\adminuser

But this does not work for the admin share.

I need to be able to access the Admin shares to do a backup of the system before I start doing anything else.  How do I turn on the Admin shares???  (BTW, I do not have access to the local administrator account and cant reset the password, yet)

BlankMonkey

Monday, February 25, 2013 8:51 PM

Answers

• I don't understand where this name is being generated. You should check the hosts file and DNS on the server. As it is standalone, this incorrect name must be recorded/applied on that server somewhere, whether in DNS or the hosts file or something. Is there any reason why you can't run the backup using the localhost address to access the shares?

MP

Mike Parker MCTS http://www.tlptech.co.uk

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 9:05 AM

All replies

• I don't understand where this name is being generated. You should check the hosts file and DNS on the server. As it is standalone, this incorrect name must be recorded/applied on that server somewhere, whether in DNS or the hosts file or something. Is there any reason why you can't run the backup using the localhost address to access the shares?

MP

Mike Parker MCTS http://www.tlptech.co.uk

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 9:05 AM
  • Sorry about the delay, we all know how busy it gets.  This has been resolved with a workaround.
    Firstly, in answer to the question, the NAME1 is a DNS Cname.

I was not able to resolve this directly.  But after I added the server to the domain, and its SERVER1.domain.com became valid, I was able to access the server without issue.

BlankMonkey

Monday, March 11, 2013 7:12 PM