none
dns error 14 not enough storage available

Question

• I have a windows 2003 storage that has a dns issue, this server is also a dc. I cant get dns to start and I have 1gb of free space. sp2 64bit was partially loaded then failed and cannot be removed. However, when I look at the properties of the server is states windows service pack 1 is installed. any ideas how to get dns to start??
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 4:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please check if the security update KB951748 is installed on the server. If so, please uninstall it, restart the server and check if the issue goes away. Based on my research, the root cause of the issue is Service Pack mismatch on the server. It causes incompatibility between the security update and SP1 and that’s why you encounter this issue.

If the issue is urgent, you can contact Microsoft Customer Service Support (CSS) for instant assistance. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services phone numbers and information about support costs, please go to the following address on the World Wide Web:

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/overview.asp

Thanks.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 7:20 AM

All replies

• Complete the installation of the SP2 first. If you have no indication of the reason for the failure, you might try using the slipstreamed operating system source (i.e. Windows Server 2003 + SP2) to rerun the OS install on top of existing installation...

hth
    Marcin

Tuesday, December 29, 2009 7:27 PM
  • The service pack still wont install. I cannot get on the internet from it so my only option was to transfer from a network share to the "D" drive. I have 1.5gb of free space on "C" and moved the service pack uninstall folder to "D" adn it still fails every time. I have gone through the the first 5 steps and not luck. This is the doc I am using. Not sure what you mean by the slipstreamed opeating system source? This is a remote site and the only way to get to the server is to use logmein rescue and connect to a server that is accesible via vpn tunnel, then from that server rdp to the broken server

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798/en-us
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 6:49 PM
  • Slipstreaming is described in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244474
    However, you would need either direct access to the server or an out-of-band connection - which, btw. you should have to begin with if you are supposed to administer a remote system.

hth
    Marcin

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 7:24 PM
  • wow.... I think you dont understand the issue I have so I will explain it again. I have a DC that dns wont start. The server doesnt have internet access because dns is broken so therefore I cannot get to it from my remote location. If the server didnt have dns issues then i would simply remote to the server but since dns cannot start I cannot. The only way I can get to it is to attach  to it from another server.

Network topology wasnt my questions nor was how to support a server. My simple question was how to fix dns since sp2 failed, sp2 cannot uninstall and the dns service cannot start even though I have 1.5 gb of space.

I dont have time to play games with you but would appreciate if you could simply assist me.

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 8:09 PM
  • Hi,

Please check if the security update KB951748 is installed on the server. If so, please uninstall it, restart the server and check if the issue goes away. Based on my research, the root cause of the issue is Service Pack mismatch on the server. It causes incompatibility between the security update and SP1 and that’s why you encounter this issue.

If the issue is urgent, you can contact Microsoft Customer Service Support (CSS) for instant assistance. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services phone numbers and information about support costs, please go to the following address on the World Wide Web:

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/overview.asp

Thanks.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 7:20 AM
  • I took your advise, the patch has already been uninstalled on the server but is in the list in un-install and I removed it from there. Quick question, if someone tried to load the wrong service pack, wouldnt the server not accept since it was for the wrong version? Still no luck starting dns...
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 1:41 PM
  • Sometimes damaged registry keys does not permit you to do such things , i recommnad you to install a free third party cleaner called CCLEANER and try it to repair your registry keys .
    Network is my LOVE
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 6:21 PM
  • Hi,

If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let us know.

Thanks,

Miles

Thursday, January 07, 2010 8:16 AM
  • I had a similar issue on a Win2K8 R2 server and MS told me to do the following:

netsh winsock reset

It was a corrupted winsock

Rebooted and DNS came right up.

Hope that helps anyone having this issue.

Saturday, February 15, 2014 12:13 AM