none
Mounting VHDX file in Windows 8 results in unrepairable corruption

Question

• Hello

I have a Windows Server 2012 RC machine running Hyper-V and an external DNS server running as a Hyper-V client.

I needed to copy some files to the external DNS server so I shut it down and mounted it in a Windows 8 client over the network (by going to the share and clicking the VHDX file). I couldn't do it over the network as I normally would as it is not on the internal network.

After booting back into the virtual server however the folder did not contain the files I copied and now everytime I reboot the server I am told that it needs to do a chkdsk to repair disk errors which then fails with an unspecified error. If I try to delete the folder (in explorer or CMD) which should contain the files I copied I get an error saying that the folder is in use (the folder appears empty as I created it specifically to contain the files I was going to copy). Earlier when trying to delete the folder I was getting an error that a directory name was invalid which listed one of the sub-directories that I had copied to that folder but which didn't show up.

Now if I try to mount the VHDX file in the Windows 8 client again that also tells me it needs to be repaired (like when you plug a pen drive in). I didn't say yes though as each time I have said yes for a pen drive it has formatted it and lost everything (pen drives always give me this message but work fine then when I say yes fix the error it fixes it by deleting everything).

Thanks for any help

Robin

Robin Wilson

Sunday, July 01, 2012 12:03 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I reproduced your test many times in my environment and I didn’t get any errors.

By the way, please help me to perform the following tests:

1. Create a new VHDX file for the virtual machine, do the same copy test as you did to see whether you get the same issue.
    2. Create another new VHDX file for the virtual machine, mount it on the Hyper-V host machine and then copy file into it to see whether you get the same issue.

In addition, you can create a new VHD/VHDX file, store the files you want to copy within it and then mount it to the virtual machine as a workaround.

Friday, July 06, 2012 9:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I can mount a VHDX file through network share on a Windows 8 client computer without any issues. By the way, after I create some files within the VHDX file, I can see those files when I start the virtual machine with the VHDX file.

According to the description, it seems that there are some issue with the VHDX file itself, you may need to start a chkdsk within the virtual machine to see whether you can fix the issue.

In addition, if you want to copy some files to a virtual machine, you can make those files as a network share and then access the network share within the virtual machine.

Monday, July 02, 2012 6:56 AM
  • Hello Vincent

The VHDX file was fine and had no corruption until I mounted it in the Windows 8 so it does seem like a bit of a coincedence.

As the VHDX file is not on the internal network (runs as an external DNS server and hosts the external DNS range for the domain name (i.e. so that DOMAIN.com is 81.xxx.xxx.xxx rather than 192.xxx.xxx.xxx) browsing via a network share was not an option. I tried a pen drive but couldn't work out a way to get that to appear on the client either. The best option seemed to be to make a new folder in the VM, shut it down and then mount it in Windows 8 Client and copy the files to the folder I had created and then eject the drive and boot it back up.

Basically after copying the files on the mounted VHDX I could see the files I had copied (in this case a PHP website consisting of PHP files and images). However then when I booted back into the VM and went to that folder it appeared empty but then when I tried to delete it, it failed as it said the directory names of the sub-folders were invalid (even though I couldn't see them in explorer) (think it was _vti_cnf or something as the files had originally come from a Unix server).

From within the VM chkdsk wants to run on every reboot since I attempted to copy the files but then fails with an "unspecified error".

Also attemting to mount the VHDX file again a second time results in Windows asking me if I want to scan and fix the drive.

I suppose in the future I could use something like SkyDrive.

Robin Wilson

Monday, July 02, 2012 6:50 PM
  • Hi,

I reproduced your test many times in my environment and I didn’t get any errors.

By the way, please help me to perform the following tests:

1. Create a new VHDX file for the virtual machine, do the same copy test as you did to see whether you get the same issue.
    2. Create another new VHDX file for the virtual machine, mount it on the Hyper-V host machine and then copy file into it to see whether you get the same issue.

In addition, you can create a new VHD/VHDX file, store the files you want to copy within it and then mount it to the virtual machine as a workaround.

Friday, July 06, 2012 9:32 AM