none
Branchcache SMB not working

Question

• I am testing BranchCache Distributed Mode with SMB. I've read "BranchCache Distributed Cache Mode Step by Step Guide" and "Install File Services content servers" at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee649278(WS.10).aspx and followed the instructions.

The following is the setup,

2008R2 server

1. Added "BranchCache for network files" role

2. Enabled "Hash Publication for BranchCache"

3. Enabled BranchCache for network share

Windows 7 Professional

1. netsh branchcache set service mode=distributed

2. Started branchcache service

3. netsh branchcache smb set latency 10

I used perfmon to look at the counters in both the client and the server. The file I read over and over again is 1MB in size and the latency to the server is 300ms.

From the client, the BranchCache counters are 0. I did "netsh branchcache show status all" and the "Active Current Cache Size" is also 0.

From the server, I used Perfmon to look at "SMB BranchCache Hash Bytes Sent" and "SMB BranchCache Hash Generation Requests" and they are also 0.

Any suggestions of what I am missing? Thanks.

------

I just read http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsserver2008r2branchoffice/thread/26b5edda-d24f-4401-824d-d96b8d2b2d9d

and it seems to suggest that Windows 7 Professional does not have SMB and HTTP integration. Does that mean that BranchCache does not work with Windows 7 Professional then?

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 4:16 PM

All replies

• A Ma in Canada:  Your end note is correct.  The Windows 7 Professional SKU has limited integration for BranchCache.

Here's a paste of that same response from the other forum thread:

Your initial posting was correct -->> Win7 Professional does not include SMB and HTTP integration with BranchCache.  Win7 Professional does have support for Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) integration with BranchCache and other protocols written to use BranchCache using the PeerDistribution APIs.

i.e. in order to test out BITS in your present lab environment including the Win7 Professional SKU, you could try the following:
    bitsadmin  /transfer MyJobName http://serverName/contentToDownload.bmp c:\contentDownloaded.bmp

Thanks for using BranchCache.
    Si.

Thanks again.

• Marked as answer by Tiger Li Monday, December 27, 2010 1:59 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by A Ma - Canada Tuesday, January 04, 2011 9:53 PM
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 2:58 AM
  • I'd like to test out the SMB integration of BranchCache. Can you provide me with a link on how to upgrade from Windows 7 Professional to either Enterprise or Ultimate? Thanks.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 8:53 PM
  • Hi,

You may refer to the link below:

Windows 7 Upgrade Paths

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd772579(WS.10).aspx

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Tiger Li Monday, December 27, 2010 1:59 AM
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 2:14 AM
  • I upgraded Windows 7 Professional to Windows 7 Ultimate and the results are still the same.

When I introduced delays between the server and the clients, the network files keep going offline. There is local caching but it seems to be the result of "Sync Center". The BranchCache stats in Perfmon are still all zeros.

What is the relationship between BranchCache and Sync Center. Are they tripping over each other trying to do the same thing?

Tuesday, January 04, 2011 4:10 PM
  • I upgraded using Windows Anytime Upgrade. After a few hours, Offline Files also stopped and I can't reenable it. It seems that there is some problem with upgrading from Professional to Ultimate using Windows Anytime Upgrade.
    • Marked as answer by A Ma - Canada Tuesday, January 04, 2011 9:53 PM
    Tuesday, January 04, 2011 9:53 PM
  • Hi there -

To test distributed cache mode, you need three client computers. Please see the following guide for setting up your test lab.  Also, you must reset the computer's caches after each test in order for BranchCache to be used correctly and for the perfmon counters to show the activity; how to reset the computers is included in the guide mentioned below.

BranchCache Step-by-Step Guide: Demonstrate Distributed Cache Mode in a Test Lab

This step-by-step guide provides instructions on how to deploy BranchCache in distributed cache mode in a test lab environment. To perform the steps in this guide, you need one computer that is running Windows Server 2008 R2 and three computers that are running either Windows® 7 Enterprise or Windows® 7 Ultimate.

Content availability

James McIllece
    Thursday, January 06, 2011 9:27 PM