none
2008 R2 x64 Remote Control end triggers disconnects when using 6.0.6001 or 6.0.6002 client

Question

• Hi,

When an admin remote controls a user and then ends the remote control, the user as well as the admin are disconnected with the following error:

Remote Desktop Disconnected

Because of a protocol error, this session will be disconnected. Please try connecting to the remote computer again.

This only occurs with Remote Desktop Client version 6.0.6001 or 6.0.6002.  For example, if the admin is using an older (or newer) client only the user running 6.0.6001/6002 will be disconnected.  In either case RDS Manager displays an Access is Denied error with an OK button.  The Access is Denied error should only occur if the admin is unable to Remote Control the user, but in this case the RC was successful (except for the disconnect).  No errors in the server's event log.

Server is Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard x64 RTM
    Tested clients are XP Home/Pro SP2/SP3, Vista Business RTM/SP1, Server 2008 SP2, Windows 7 Enterprise RTM

Client RD versions tested: 5.2.x, 6.0.6000, 6.0.6001, 6.0.6002, 6.1.7600

Server Adapter is Broadcom BCM5708C NetXtreme II GigE

I have tried disabling all of the various adapter settings like Ethernet@WireSpeed, IPv4 Checksum Offload, IPv4 Large Send Offload, Receive Side Scaling, TCP Connection Offload (IPv4), Flow Control.  Have also tried literally dozens of combinations of different RDP-Tcp security layer/encryption/desktop composition/themes/rdp compression/font smoothing/optimize visual experience/etc settings.

I have many more tests planned, but so far I have not learned much other than perhaps there is a bug in the client.  The problem does not occur with Server 2008 SP2 running on identical hardware, but the Access is Denied message comes up like on R2.

When will the new Remote Desktop Client be available for XP/Vista?  From my testing it appears that the issue would be solved if I could use the RDP 7 client version for all machines.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

-TP

Thursday, August 20, 2009 5:42 PM

Answers

• Okay got it solved.

There is indeed a bug in either the 6.0.6001/6002 client or the Server 2008 R2 as well as Server 2008.  Whether or not the bug is in the client or server I will leave up to Microsoft RDS team to determine.  The problem does not manifest as often in 2008 because the default settings are different than R2, however, it can definately occur in 2008 if the settings are changed.

As R2 is deployed you will see an increasing number of complaints about this since most people who use Remote Control will be affected.

I plan on making a separate post with details of the bug.

Thanks for reading.

-TP
    Monday, August 24, 2009 5:01 PM

All replies

• Okay got it solved.

There is indeed a bug in either the 6.0.6001/6002 client or the Server 2008 R2 as well as Server 2008.  Whether or not the bug is in the client or server I will leave up to Microsoft RDS team to determine.  The problem does not manifest as often in 2008 because the default settings are different than R2, however, it can definately occur in 2008 if the settings are changed.

As R2 is deployed you will see an increasing number of complaints about this since most people who use Remote Control will be affected.

I plan on making a separate post with details of the bug.

Thanks for reading.

-TP
    Monday, August 24, 2009 5:01 PM
  • TP, you responded to my forum for the same thing... Can you confirm that you are connecting to the terminal server and then using the Terminal Server Manager to shadow the session ?
    I will test out and see what I can do, thanks for the information mate.

finger
    finger
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 11:26 PM
  • TP, we're having exactly the same problem.  2008 R2 RDS gives a protocol error when disconnecting from an Admin joined session (both the Admin and regular user are on XP SP3 boxes).  No error on same client hardware from a 2008 SP2 TS in the same domain.

Seems like a pretty big problem for it to have gone on unfixed this long.

Haven't tried downloading the RDC 7.0 client for XP, but would be curious if the same problem exists.

Monday, May 03, 2010 3:20 AM
  • Getting same problem here, can successfully remote control/shadow a user using win7 client, but XP/XPe client gets disconnected with the protocol error message when remote control stops.

We need to be able to control users sessions reliably before we can make this live.

Steven Gill
    Monday, June 07, 2010 4:32 PM