none
Server 2003 SP2 stuck at "checking for the latest updates for your computer"

Question

• I have two Server 2003's, both have SP2 and both successfully received updates last time on 12/15-16/2012. Since then updates are no longer working. IE completely hangs when attempting updates and has to be closed via task manager. I have uninstalled all updates that happened the last day updates did work with no success. I have cleared internet history, obviously rebooted servers about a thousand times...  Background intelligent transfer service and automatic updates are running. I have deleted the "datastore.edb" file in windows distribution... No clue what else I could try. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!!

Also I have re-registerd the following dll's:

• regsvr32 wuapi.dll
    • regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
    • regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
    • regsvr32 wucltui.dll
    • regsvr32 wups.dll
    • regsvr32 wups2.dll
    • regsvr32 wuweb.dll

• Edited by FlashTrooper Thursday, February 07, 2013 9:27 PM
    • Moved by Lawrence GarvinMVP Friday, February 08, 2013 12:22 AM Question concerns using WU and Server 2003
    Thursday, February 07, 2013 5:07 PM

Answers

• Hello FlashTrooper,
    did you check Event Viewer ? What are errors/warning related to Windows Update ? They could be useful for investigation.

Regards,
    Luca

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by FlashTrooper Saturday, February 09, 2013 1:56 AM
    Friday, February 08, 2013 10:56 PM

All replies

• Hi FlashTrooper,

Updated to the lastest IE available for 2003 before re-trying the update ? (IE8)

Thanks

MCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring

Twitter - @yagmoth555 ()
    Blog: http://www.jabea.net | http://blogs.technet.com/b/wikininjas/

Friday, February 08, 2013 3:21 AM
  • Hi,

I suggest you update to IE 8 before updating, then restart, now try to update

Please help and appreciate others by using these features: "Propose As Answer", "Vote As Helpful" and "Mark As Answer"

Waqas

MS(SPM), MS(E&F),M.Engg, MCP, MCT, MCTS, MCITP, MCSE, MCPD, MCSD, MCDBA , Author
    Twitter: @Waqas_m1
    Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/in/waqasm1

• Edited by Waqas M Friday, February 08, 2013 8:00 AM
    Friday, February 08, 2013 8:00 AM
  • OK, I have successfully updated to IE8 now... Updates still don't work. I am trying to run the fixit tool from microsoft for fixing common issues with windows update. Now I'm getting this:

Friday, February 08, 2013 5:18 PM
  • Hello FlashTrooper,
    can I suggest DOS Script to Reset Windows Update Agent ?

It reset Windows Update Agent.

Bye,
    Luca

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Edited by Luca Fabbri Friday, February 08, 2013 5:53 PM
    Friday, February 08, 2013 5:52 PM
  • Thank you. While this can be a very useful script, it unfortunately did not fix my problem.
    Friday, February 08, 2013 9:48 PM
  • Sir, I have. I am still unable to run the updates. I am trying to fix it with the microsoft "fixit" tool for update problems. Though per my post below, it gets stuck trying to install powershell. I have downloaded and attempted to install a standalone powershell installer but it also fails. Error: Access denied. I am a local admin on this server.
    Friday, February 08, 2013 9:53 PM
  • Hello FlashTrooper,
    did you check Event Viewer ? What are errors/warning related to Windows Update ? They could be useful for investigation.

Regards,
    Luca

• Marked as answer by FlashTrooper Saturday, February 09, 2013 1:56 AM
    Friday, February 08, 2013 10:56 PM
  • It turned out to be our company's HIPS (Mcafee HBSS) that prevented powershell from installing. It had to be disabled, then Fix it tool and then I had to run the wuauclt /detectnow command. A few minutes later it started pulling updates. Everything is back to normal. Thank you everybody.

Saturday, February 09, 2013 2:02 AM