none
Windows backup fails with Error Code: 0x8078012D

General discussion

• Esteemed members of the Technet Forums,

I have been having trouble backing up from my computer to the server in the next room using the built-in windows backup software, it always comes up with Error Code: 0x8078012D. I have searched all the forum posts i could find on this and have not had any luck thus far, i have tried:

• Making sure all services associated with Windows backup have not been disabled.
    • Disabling my anti-virus and then attempting  to backup
    • running "chkdsk /r"
    • Performing a clean boot before attempting to backup
    • Renaming the folder that contains the last backup (to something like "E:/WindowsImageBackupOLD")
    • Closing all applications running in the background
    • Disconnecting any peripheral devices not being used (USB's external HDDs etc.)
    • Backing up to a Win7 machine instead of the server running SBS 08 (see edit)

If anyone has any other possible solutions, your input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

EDIT: trying to backup from a Win7 machine to a server running SBS 08. Backing up to the local machine works fine its just backing up over the network when i get this error.

Monday, April 11, 2011 1:08 AM

All replies

• Hi;

Can you please explain more about the type of the backup; which operating system you are using; if you are using Windows Server 2008 r2, did you install the latest service pack on it?

Thanks

Monday, April 11, 2011 4:38 AM
  • I have been trying to get Windows 7 to do a backup for months with no success.  It has never worked.  I get the same error code or 0x8100037.  I have done all the steps you have.  I've just run out of time and I gave up.
    Monday, June 20, 2011 3:17 AM