none
Disk Cleanup, cleanmgr.exe in Windows 2008 server WITHOUT desktop experience

Question

• I would like to have cleanmgr.exe without installing desktop experience on my servers.

How could cleanmgr.exe even be put in the same category as Windows Media Player?    To me cleanmgr.exe is an essential I.T. tool not a user experience enchancement.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 2:49 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on the research, by default there are several features which are not installed on Windows Server 2008. These features includes Disk Cleanup tool. We deeply understand that your concern. However, if we want to use the Disk Cleanup (cleanmgr.exe) on a Windows Server 2008 computer, we may have to install the "Desktop Experience" feature on the box. To install desktop experience, open Server Manager and choose Add feature, then select Desktop Experience to be installed.

After you install the user desktop experience, you may find the Disk Cleanup in the System tool subcategory

Start - > Programs - > Accessories - > System Tools -> Disk Cleanup

You may drag and drop the Disk Cleanup from System Tools category to the same category as Windows Media Player.

Hope it helps.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Monday, March 30, 2009 2:37 AM
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 4:17 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Based on the further research, we cannot separately enable the Disk Cleanup utility by associating DLL files on Windows Server 2008. I completely understand that it would be better if we can use the Disk cleanup utility without installing Desktop experience.

Meanwhile, I will forward your suggestions to our product team. Hopefully this feature can be included soon.

As Microsoft continues to collect product feedback from the online ContactUs form for the product development groups, you could also send your feedback to them.

Here are the channels:

Submitting suggestions for product enhancement:

Legitimate Wishes fit into the following guidelines:

• Enhancement or feature addition to existing Microsoft products

• Reproducible problem or bug with current version that needs resolution

• Cannot find documentation of feature within the help files

• Difficulty using the product

• All beta products

• Product packaging complaints

• Added accessibility feature for a Microsoft product

These can be submitted here:

http://www.microsoft.com/usability/enroll.mspx

Thanks for the understandings.

• Marked as answer by David Shen Sunday, March 22, 2009 2:40 PM
    Friday, March 20, 2009 11:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on the research, by default there are several features which are not installed on Windows Server 2008. These features includes Disk Cleanup tool. We deeply understand that your concern. However, if we want to use the Disk Cleanup (cleanmgr.exe) on a Windows Server 2008 computer, we may have to install the "Desktop Experience" feature on the box. To install desktop experience, open Server Manager and choose Add feature, then select Desktop Experience to be installed.

After you install the user desktop experience, you may find the Disk Cleanup in the System tool subcategory

Start - > Programs - > Accessories - > System Tools -> Disk Cleanup

You may drag and drop the Disk Cleanup from System Tools category to the same category as Windows Media Player.

Hope it helps.

• Marked as answer by David Shen Monday, March 30, 2009 2:37 AM
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 4:17 AM
  • Did you read my post? 

"WITHOUT installing desktop experience on my servers"

I know how to make it available, I just don't like the option MS gives to do so.

Are there any dlls associated with cleanmgr.exe that I will need?

My comment on cleanmgr and WMP is not a simple question of how to put them in the same start menu folder.  I was meaning they don't have anything in common so you shouldn't have to install WMP just to have cleanmgr, especially if you are in a server enviroment. 
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 3:20 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Based on the further research, we cannot separately enable the Disk Cleanup utility by associating DLL files on Windows Server 2008. I completely understand that it would be better if we can use the Disk cleanup utility without installing Desktop experience.

Meanwhile, I will forward your suggestions to our product team. Hopefully this feature can be included soon.

As Microsoft continues to collect product feedback from the online ContactUs form for the product development groups, you could also send your feedback to them.

Here are the channels:

Submitting suggestions for product enhancement:

Legitimate Wishes fit into the following guidelines:

• Enhancement or feature addition to existing Microsoft products

• Reproducible problem or bug with current version that needs resolution

• Cannot find documentation of feature within the help files

• Difficulty using the product

• All beta products

• Product packaging complaints

• Added accessibility feature for a Microsoft product

These can be submitted here:

http://www.microsoft.com/usability/enroll.mspx

Thanks for the understandings.

• Marked as answer by David Shen Sunday, March 22, 2009 2:40 PM
    Friday, March 20, 2009 11:31 AM
  • I wouldn't hold my breath David, given that the only response I have ever received from MS Wish/Feedback was with regard to the issue of MS obtuse assuming the all machines only have a single drive (eg C:\inetpub), the MS rep responding to the feedback stated that location value would be implemented, as of server 2008 is still has yet to be seen :(

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 3:36 AM
  • I found the solution myself, there are 2 files you need to do this.  Neither files have anything to do with any other feature included in the desktop experience package.  As a matter of fact neither file are a dll.  Both files combined are less than 200KB.  Which makes my point of how ridiculous it is to include this "tool" in the desktop experience package.

Hopefully Microsoft can figure out what 2 files are needed to help out others, I'm not going to give Microsoft the pleasure of telling them how their own file system works.
    • Proposed as answer by smileymattj Saturday, April 18, 2009 2:21 AM
    Wednesday, April 08, 2009 3:44 PM
  • I found the solution myself, there are 2 files you need to do this.  Neither files have anything to do with any other feature included in the desktop experience package.  As a matter of fact neither file are a dll.  Both files combined are less than 200KB.  Which makes my point of how ridiculous it is to include this "tool" in the desktop experience package.

Hopefully Microsoft can figure out what 2 files are needed to help out others, I'm not going to give Microsoft the pleasure of telling them how their own file system works.
    Any chance you can share the solution? Im looking for the same thing.

Thanks!
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 8:41 PM

Thanks!
    Ask him here he should help you:

http://alphawolfpack.com/phpBB3/welcome.php?sid=2e9facf6002bd269422d2dbc4f24b0fa
    • Proposed as answer by AWP red10662000 Saturday, May 09, 2009 10:35 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by David Shen Tuesday, May 12, 2009 3:17 AM
    Saturday, May 09, 2009 10:34 PM

Thanks!

Any solutions out there that do NOT involve installing photography and music apps on SERVERS as well as NOT rebooting SERVERS please?
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 1:27 PM
  • Hi..
    Can i plz get those 2 files name(dll's)
    • Proposed as answer by Atreidae Tuesday, July 23, 2013 12:39 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Atreidae Tuesday, July 23, 2013 12:40 AM
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 9:09 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Chuck vdL Monday, February 01, 2010 10:15 PM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 2:15 AM
  • Really hard to understand why MS makes harder. For simple tool we jumping running suffering why is that? Does MS thinks that Win 2008 R2 does not need Disk Cleanup? Thanks God at least defragmenter still there.
    Saturday, January 02, 2010 10:37 PM
  • Yeah I'm with the others here..  Including this tool, which is well hidden from most users (being on systemtools, or 'properties' of a drive) as part of the 'desktop experience' makes NO SENSE AT ALL..    Whatever the PM who made this decision was smoking, he needs to stop, cause it's runing his judgement..

I JUST want to be able to clean up and minimize the footprint of a VM before I optimise and compact the drive (creating something I can clone to make more 'clean' testbed systems as needed).  THE VERY LAST THING I WANT TO DO IN ORDER TO DO THIS IS INSTALL ALL THE OTHER BLOATED 'DESKTOP EXPERIENCE' JUNK.   I'm trying to save space, and making me install a bunch of desktop experience bloatware is 100% COUNTER to cleaning junk off the drive.  I've probably eaten up twice the space I'm going to save when I run the cleaner, because I installed all the other desktop experience stuff.  Unless of course I can use it to remove the other junk as un-used programs 

That functionality should never had been linked to desktop experience.  NEVER.. NO REASON whatsoever to have done that.    It's a very common thing for many a sysadmin to want to clean off installer logs and other leftover stuff after a new system has just been installed and fully patched.

Thanks LCNZ for the link to what files we want.  with any luck I can capture those to a safe place, and then un-isntall the rest of the desktop experience crape'.

Note sure if it's going to be quite as easy on a 64 bit system however, as I've got two versions of the .exe and .mui, PLUS stuff under the 'side-by-side'   Looks like versions both for x86 and amd64..  not sure how fully I have to replicate the 4 files in the two locations in order to make it work..  It's just stupid that I have to deal with this stuff at this level..  if I wanted this I'd install serverCORE or some flavor of Linux 

--Chuck
    Monday, February 01, 2010 10:26 PM
  • Disk Cleanup option on drive’s general properties and cleanmgr.exe is not present in Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2 by default (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff630161(WS.10).aspx)
    bye
    • Proposed as answer by NaumanA Thursday, July 05, 2012 8:06 AM
    Thursday, August 05, 2010 10:04 PM
  • Hi Oceana,

Is there a way that you can share with us the solution to this problem? My current server disk space left is about 100MB only. And I need to clean this up. If I would have to install the Desktop Experience feature (which I do not know how many megabytes file is this installation feature), I might be adding problem to my current problem. I hope you can help me on this issue. normanchiutan@yahoo.com.

Thank you.

Thursday, August 19, 2010 4:18 AM
  • You have to install desktop experience to obtain the two files you need.  Copy them to a safe location.  Then remove desktop experience.  I suggest installing 2008 on a VM, grabbing the files then deleting it.  This way you won't interrupt your server operations.

cleanmgr.exe - needs to be located in the system32 folder
    cleanmgr.exe.mui - needs to be located in the system32\en-US folder

I created a batch file to do this:
    cd ./
    copy cleanmgr.exe %windir%\System32\
    copy cleanmgr.exe.mui %windir%\System32\en-US\
    pause

If you do this batch run the cmd as admin, and ensure those files are located on the local hard drive in the same folder as the batch file.
    • Proposed as answer by xxzab Thursday, April 12, 2012 7:23 PM
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 4:30 PM
  • If you have a Windows 7 x64 (for R2) you can copy the above files without installing Desktop Experience. I would assume the same would work for 7 x32 and 2008 RTM.
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 8:44 PM
  • if someone is trying this without using a VM option, note that it won't let you add a feature, copy the files and then remove the feature without restart between adding and removing the features..but doing this once will help for future installs
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 10:56 PM
  • Awesome, legend! Actually you can just copy them from a Win7 VM or physical by mapping the c$ admin share on a windows 7 box and copy them straight over to 2008 server, same locations.

I just raced my collegue who installed the role. I had cleanmgr running in less than 2 minutes, that was 15mins ago, he is still (after several reboots) configuring system 45% !!

*LAUGHS*

Thursday, July 21, 2011 6:12 AM
  • Missing disk cleanup really makes many ppl unhappy, including me.

I searched my Windows 2008 R2 and found a copy of cleanmgr.exe resides in winsxs folder.

Copy cleanmgr.exe to system32\ and cleanmgr.exe.mui to system32\en-US\.

Enjoy the disk cleanup!

It saved me around 5GB disk space!

• Edited by caesun_cn Tuesday, September 06, 2011 8:28 AM
    • Proposed as answer by asymetrixs Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:13 PM
    Tuesday, September 06, 2011 8:28 AM
  • You have to install desktop experience to obtain the two files you need.  Copy them to a safe location.  Then remove desktop experience.  I suggest installing 2008 on a VM, grabbing the files then deleting it.  This way you won't interrupt your server operations.

cleanmgr.exe - needs to be located in the system32 folder
    cleanmgr.exe.mui - needs to be located in the system32\en-US folder

I created a batch file to do this:
    cd ./
    copy cleanmgr.exe %windir%\System32\
    copy cleanmgr.exe.mui %windir%\System32\en-US\
    pause

If you do this batch run the cmd as admin, and ensure those files are located on the local hard drive in the same folder as the batch file.

After doing this, I try to run cleanmgr and id give me that is not a valid Win32 application on a window. When I press OK I get Access Denied in the cmd window.
    Monday, April 30, 2012 9:32 AM
  • Thank you caesun_cn, I did follow your advice and it worked great.
    Sunday, May 06, 2012 5:23 PM
  • The files are already installed on your copy of Windows Server, you just need to look for them.

go to 

C:\Windows\winsxs\

And search for cleanmgr.

You will get two folders, now copy the files in the folders (not the folders) to the correct places and hey presto.

Once you’ve located the files move them to the following locations:

1. Cleanmgr.exe should go in %systemroot%\System32.
    2. Cleanmgr.exe.mui should go in %systemroot%\System32\en-US.

It's all explained here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff630161(v=ws.10).aspx

• Proposed as answer by ADudley123 Tuesday, July 17, 2012 10:56 AM
    • Edited by ADudley123 Tuesday, July 17, 2012 10:58 AM Added more clear instructions
    Tuesday, July 17, 2012 10:56 AM
  • Is anyone at MS aware that there's some sort of bug in some installations of WS2008 that causes installation of Desktop Experience to fail?  In my case it prompted for a restart three times, each time looping back to "initializing installation" after spinning its wheels for 20 or 30 minutes, and this happened following my upgrading from WS2008 Standard to Enterprise.  Other people have run into different sorts of errors. 

So I don't have DE, I don't have Media Player and I don't have disk cleanup, and old versions of Windows are hogging about 50GB on this machine.   I'm only trying to put together a small scale prototype, so unlike many people here I don't have a problem with the extra bells and whistles, as long as I can get cleanmgr.exe and clean up the older files. 

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 4:50 AM