none
Windows Server 2003 - Client Access License

Question

• I've got a Windows Server 2003 Small Bus. Standard setup, a domain, 2 network printers, and 9 PCs connected to the network.

The issue that I am having is that the other day one of the pcs on the network could log into the domain (with user name and password) but could not access the server, the internet symbol shows limited connectivity, and the pc could not access the server/ping the server. The computer is getting a 169.X.X.X ip address.

I thought it was a wire issue so I installed a wireless adapter and it worked for a while, I would like to know how the Client Access License works, how they work (does the server record a MAC address when a computer connects?)

I was told I need more CALs because I have 5 but only 1 out of the 9 pcs cant connect which confuses me (because 4 shouldn't work if this is caused by the CAL)

Thanks in advance,

Richard

Wednesday, March 02, 2011 4:25 AM

Answers

• Have you checked your network card connectivity.

try to ping your SBS server with -t and check are there any packet lost??

if your DHCP server is authorised and other computers getting addresses, check ipconfig /release and Ipconfig /renew..

I think your netwrok card might be loosing packets and not getting IP from DHCP.

update with your answers.

• Marked as answer by Brickchard Wednesday, March 09, 2011 3:36 AM
    Thursday, March 03, 2011 1:12 AM

All replies

• Your computers will generate a 169.x.x.x IP address when they do not recieve a DHCP response/lease from your SBS server.

Check your SBS server has a functional DHCP scope that has availble leases.

Wednesday, March 02, 2011 10:04 PM
  • Well if I plug a wireless card in and connect to the domain, I receive a IP address....so I would assume that ^ would not be the issue.
    Thursday, March 03, 2011 1:02 AM
  • Have you checked your network card connectivity.

try to ping your SBS server with -t and check are there any packet lost??

if your DHCP server is authorised and other computers getting addresses, check ipconfig /release and Ipconfig /renew..

I think your netwrok card might be loosing packets and not getting IP from DHCP.

update with your answers.

• Marked as answer by Brickchard Wednesday, March 09, 2011 3:36 AM
    Thursday, March 03, 2011 1:12 AM
  • I've tried pinging the server and I get no response.

I've tried the release,flushdns,renew and still nothing.

Thursday, March 03, 2011 1:23 AM
  • hi

1. is green light blinking on your network port where network cable is connected?
    2. in device manager check status of network card.
    3. are there any errors in event logs for network card?
    4. restart computer in 'safe mode with networking' and check network connectivity (if some application or FW blocking network..)
    5. have you got some spare network card? that might be last option...

Thursday, March 03, 2011 1:37 AM
  • Hello,

The exact response I get when I ping is PING: transmit failed. General failure

The green light blinks

Device manager says the device works fines

Safe mode did not work for me, still the same issue

Also if I kick the computer off the domain but still connected to the same network the server and everything is on it still doesnt work, when I try to reconnect to the server it says - An active Directory Domain Controller (AD DC) for the domain "domain" could not be contacted.

So its not the nic card, not software because it was working before.

I also brought it home, plugged it in and it did work

Does someone know how I would go about setting up the server in server mode, I was told that it would solve my problem by kicking people off the server when someone needs to access it.

• Edited by Brickchard Thursday, March 03, 2011 7:15 PM Additional Comment
    Thursday, March 03, 2011 3:12 AM