none
Hyper-V and setup switch failed Error applying new virtual network changes

Question

•  

Hi,

I read the Hyper-V and HP ML310 GS thread but that did not solve the problem I still experience:

My hardware is a PRIMERGY TX120 from FSC and it has a Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet NIC (b57nd60a.sys) with the driver version 10.10.0.1 from january 8 2006. I am running Windows Server 2003 R2 in the quest machine and when I go to the virtual network manager and try to add a new external virtual network and choose my NIC he gives the error message:

Error applying new virtual network changes  setup switch failed

I am now using the RC version of Hyper-V but the problem remains. Unclicking Microsoft Virtual Network Switch Protocol in the Broadcom NIC properties does not help. I also experience the same problem in my other Virtual Machines being Windows Vista and Windows XP.

When trying to add a legacy adaptor I get another error message "Configuration Error" in the VMs explaining:

The network adapter is configured to a switch port which no longer exists. In order for this virtual machine to boot you will need to reconfigure this virtual network adapter.

When looking on my host machine in Device Manager I see 35 Microsoft Virtual Switch Network adapters beside of-course my Broadcom. Is that normal behaviour??

What to do next?

Any help is highly appreciated!

Thanks,

Frank

Saturday, April 12, 2008 7:30 AM

Answers

• It sounds like you only have a single NIC in your host.  This can be a litte bit confusing.  This is what I have done to try to make it easier for me to keep track of what is going on.  It might make it easier if you remove the Hyper-V role and then re-add it to clear things up.

When you install the Hyper-V role on a host with a single adapter, it automatically takes over that adapter and creates the virtual switch on it.  What I do after I install on the system is immediately rename my network adapter to be something like "Virtual Switch" or "HV Switch" or something that helps identify that as the switch.  Also, if you look at the properties of this Network Connection from the host, you will see that only the Microsoft Virtual Network Switch Protocol is selected.  That's the way it should be.

Then, within the Hyper-V manager, I go in and create a virtual network and call it something like External or Built-in and define it as an External network.  This becomes the network link that your host machine will actually use for accessing the external world.  That is the one and only external network you need to define.  When you use the External network in your virtual guests, when you assign a virtual NIC, you select either Legacy or Netword Adapter (depending on the guest OS) and assign it to External.  That gives the virtual machine access to the outside world, too, (if you want to do that).

After I have my External or Built-in network working, I will add internal and private networks, naming them whatever makes sense to me and whatever I need for my virtual machines.  Since I run most my stuff on a laptop, I try to keep all my virtual machines on the same LAN, so I create an internal network called something like 10LAN.  Then on the host I give it some sort of 10.*.*.* address, and for the virtual machines, I put them in the same 10 network.  This makes it easy to do things like set up file shares and use remote desktop to access my virtual machines when I need to.

I try to keep the number of virtual networks to a bare minimum and to rename them on both the host and the virtual machine as soon as I assign them.  Trying to keep track of Local Area Connection ### got to be too confusing for me.

Hope this helps.

tgc

Saturday, April 12, 2008 11:00 PM
  • I have finally gotten this resolved.

I had to reinstall the OS to do it though.

HP puts out a document related to installing Win2k8 on Proliant hardware: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00710606/c00710606.pdf.

What worked for me:

1. Installed all NICs before installing the OS

2. Install the OS

3. Apply all windowsupdate.com updates

4. Install Proliant Support Pack 8

5. Install Hyper-V

Good luck everyone.  This was very frustrating. 

Sunday, April 27, 2008 1:48 AM
  • What are the permissions on your HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services key?  Do they include permissions from Exchange?

The uninstall of Hyper-V Beta and RC0 did not clean up adapters.  Beginning with RC1 those adapters should be removed when uninstalled.  However, you’ll need to install RC1 before you can uninstall it J

It’s a little convoluted but those orphaned adapters created in RC0 should be removable by doing the following:

1. Uninstall Hyper-V RC0 (and reboot whenever asked).

2. Update Hyper-V bits to RC1 (should be on Windows Update – reboot whenever asked).

3. Install Hyper-V RC1 (and reboot whenever asked).

4. Reboot again.

5. From an elevated prompt, do the following “netcfg.exe –u vms_pp”.

5a. If “netcfg.exe” appears to hang, you’ll have to use procmon to find the registry key that it is spinning on (probably HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\{GUID}\Parameters\tcpip).

6. Uninstall Hyper-V (and reboot whenever asked).

7. Reinstall Hyper-V.

The orphaned adapters should be gone.  Try to create a switch.  If you are still having problems, we'll have to look at your setupapi.app.log.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 12:09 AM

All replies

• It sounds like you only have a single NIC in your host.  This can be a litte bit confusing.  This is what I have done to try to make it easier for me to keep track of what is going on.  It might make it easier if you remove the Hyper-V role and then re-add it to clear things up.

When you install the Hyper-V role on a host with a single adapter, it automatically takes over that adapter and creates the virtual switch on it.  What I do after I install on the system is immediately rename my network adapter to be something like "Virtual Switch" or "HV Switch" or something that helps identify that as the switch.  Also, if you look at the properties of this Network Connection from the host, you will see that only the Microsoft Virtual Network Switch Protocol is selected.  That's the way it should be.

Then, within the Hyper-V manager, I go in and create a virtual network and call it something like External or Built-in and define it as an External network.  This becomes the network link that your host machine will actually use for accessing the external world.  That is the one and only external network you need to define.  When you use the External network in your virtual guests, when you assign a virtual NIC, you select either Legacy or Netword Adapter (depending on the guest OS) and assign it to External.  That gives the virtual machine access to the outside world, too, (if you want to do that).

After I have my External or Built-in network working, I will add internal and private networks, naming them whatever makes sense to me and whatever I need for my virtual machines.  Since I run most my stuff on a laptop, I try to keep all my virtual machines on the same LAN, so I create an internal network called something like 10LAN.  Then on the host I give it some sort of 10.*.*.* address, and for the virtual machines, I put them in the same 10 network.  This makes it easy to do things like set up file shares and use remote desktop to access my virtual machines when I need to.

I try to keep the number of virtual networks to a bare minimum and to rename them on both the host and the virtual machine as soon as I assign them.  Trying to keep track of Local Area Connection ### got to be too confusing for me.

Hope this helps.

tgc

Saturday, April 12, 2008 11:00 PM
  • I too have the Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit NIC and am experiencing the same issues you are.  Setup switch failed.  Any attempts to create a virtual network result in this and new Virtual network adapater and Local Area Connection.  This has nothing to do with having one NIC (I have two Broadcom NetXtreme NICs) or not understanding how Hyper-V handles networking.  I have tried removing the Hyper-V role and reinstalling countless times both before and after RC0 update.
    Monday, April 14, 2008 4:52 AM
  • Hi Tim,

Thanks for your quick and informative answer. I did what you advised and here my experiences:

REMOVE Experience

I removed the role Hyper-V and during removal the system hangs when the message "Configuring updates: Stage 3 of 3 - 78% complete. Do not turn off your computer" is written on the screen. So, I had to do a hard reset. After the restart the role is completely removed. I now have only ONE role and that is File Services.

Network situation before adding Hyper-V role again

I looked in my network connections and over there I see my Physical NIC (Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet) and 45 Microsoft Virtual Network Switch Adapters (I think this is a bit overdone, is not it? However, I cannot remove those virtual switch adapters)

My phyiscal NIC is bound to Client for ms networks, Virtual Machine Network Services, QoS, File and Printer Sharing, IP4, IP6 and Link Layer. I also have a second LAN called Intel(R) PRO/1000 PT Server Adapter.I have internet connectivity.

Adding Hyper-V Role

He recommends to create at least one virtual network and I see my 2 physical NICs there (Broadcom and Intel Pro/1000). I select the Broadcom called Physical NIC and press next. Then I can install Hyper-V again. Do the restart......

After adding the Hyper-V role again

I immediately see someting is wrong. I get the message "Installation succeeded with errors". "Attempt to configure Hyper-V failed with error code (0x80041001). Configure the virtual network for Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet failed. Please attempt to configure the Virtual Network again using Hyper-V Manager. I closed the results box and get Server Manager:

Hyper-V is installed with errors. The three system services are all running:

Hyper-V Image Management Service

Hyper-V Networking Management Service

Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management

I get the Microsoft Pre-release software license terms which I accept of-course.

I then go to network again and see my Physical NIC, my Intel Pro and 45 Microsoft Virtual Network Switch Adapters again so no changes there.

In the Virtual Network Manager I click an existing (already created) virtual network and click EXTERNAL instead of PRIVATE. I choose my Broadcom and click APPLY. I get the applying networking changes box and then get the error message "Error applying virtual network properties changes. Setup switch failed".

Event Viewer says error 2147749889. The event before this event said: Switch port created.

Indeed in networks I now see 46 MS Virtual Network Switch Adapters. In the properties Client for MS Networks, File and Print sharing, IP en Link Layer is selected but Microsoft Virtual Network Switch Protocol is NOT SELECTED.

I already rolled out KB949219 in the host machine.

Hope there are additional suggestions for me to try to make this work.

Thanks,

Frank

Monday, April 14, 2008 12:08 PM
  • I can confirm that I am seeing the exact same behavior that Frank (atumanov) has described above.  I get the installation succeeded with errors message and I end up with multiple Virtual Network adapters (one for each  attempt at creating a Virtual Network basically).  I have tried removing  and creating new Virtual Network, each time it is Private rather than External as requested.  Trying to change it to External does not work and results in yet another useless Virtaul Network adapter and Local Area Connection.

Has anyone else had similar problems?  I am thinking it may be an incompatibility with the Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet adapter.  This is a very common NIC though (in a lot of Dell's like my PowerEdge) so I would think that many others must be running into this as well besides just myself and Frank.
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 2:44 AM
  • I am having this exact same problem also.  Has anyone come up with a solution?  Very frustrating...

Sunday, April 20, 2008 5:17 AM
  • If you have the issue where your machine hangs at "Configuring Updates..." after removing the Hyper-V Role, it is because of the HP network configuration utility being installed.

This KB article describes how to addresss this:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950792/en-us

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 7:02 PM
  • Install Windows6.0-KB949219-x64 on Guest. I did this from a previously generated ISO-File (Media/DVD Drive/Insert Disk...) containing the update.

Networking works fine after Update/Reboot on PowerEdge1900 with Broadcom NetXtreme NIC.

hth

philippe

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 7:37 PM
  •  BlumIT wrote:

I am having this exact same problem also.  Has anyone come up with a solution?  Very frustrating...

Ditto, I am also having the same problem on a Dell Poweredge SC1435 server... Cannot get the hyperv to install without the switch setup failed message with everything I've tried.

Saturday, April 26, 2008 12:40 AM
  • I have finally gotten this resolved.

I had to reinstall the OS to do it though.

HP puts out a document related to installing Win2k8 on Proliant hardware: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00710606/c00710606.pdf.

What worked for me:

1. Installed all NICs before installing the OS

2. Install the OS

3. Apply all windowsupdate.com updates

4. Install Proliant Support Pack 8

5. Install Hyper-V

Good luck everyone.  This was very frustrating. 

Sunday, April 27, 2008 1:48 AM
  • Hi all,

Experiencing the same issues, running a Dell PowerEdge with two NIC's. Tried everything I could find on numerous websites and fora. The last provided solution above my post is referring to an HP server which I, and other posters in this thread, do not have.

So... I'm still stuck with this, it keeps on giving me the error that it failed when trying to configure an external virtual switch. Somebody already got it to work on a Dell PE server?

Thanks in advance!

G.O.H.N.

Monday, May 05, 2008 1:44 PM
  • I am having the same issue, I have tried many things, have spoken to Dell as well as Microsoft (who tried to be helpfull but said the only support for now on Hyper-V is in Forums) so here I am. 

I have a Dell PowerEdge 1950 with 2 Broadcom Extreme II's and Windows Server 2008 x64 installed.  I have went throught the very painful process of installing Exchange 2007 and it is working and am now working on Hyper-V without success. 

I luckally did a system back up and have a point to restore to after Exchange install and befor Hyper-V install.  I rolled back to pre H-V install and my NICs looked good, I updated them to the latest driver which I had not done on the first install, I had my NIC #1 setup for use with my Host OS and the NIC#2 left as originally installed to select for the H-V install, again I got the same error after H-V install. 

I have been told by Dell that there are users with my model PowerEdge using H-V succesfully.  I would like any advice from someone installing it succesfully. 

I am again rolling back to pre H-V install and would like to give it another shot befor just trying to use VirtualPC (which I would like to know if anyone has that working on Server 2008?).

Another note is every time I try to add a NIC in the Virtual Network Manager under Hyper-V and get a "Microsoft virtual network switch adapter" listed in my Network Divice list and they keep adding up each time I try to add the Virtual NIC, I am unable to remove them either. When I do a restore to pr H-V install my NIC go back to normal.

Thanks for any adive in advance.

MarcR

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 10:54 PM
  • What are the permissions on your HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services key?  Do they include permissions from Exchange?

The uninstall of Hyper-V Beta and RC0 did not clean up adapters.  Beginning with RC1 those adapters should be removed when uninstalled.  However, you’ll need to install RC1 before you can uninstall it J

It’s a little convoluted but those orphaned adapters created in RC0 should be removable by doing the following:

2. Update Hyper-V bits to RC1 (should be on Windows Update – reboot whenever asked).

4. Reboot again.

5a. If “netcfg.exe” appears to hang, you’ll have to use procmon to find the registry key that it is spinning on (probably HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\{GUID}\Parameters\tcpip).

7. Reinstall Hyper-V.

The orphaned adapters should be gone.  Try to create a switch.  If you are still having problems, we'll have to look at your setupapi.app.log.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 12:09 AM
  • I did not do an Uninstall of Hyper-V, I actually had a full backup and booted from the Windows 2008 DVD and choose to do a full restore off a back up I had performed befor ever installing Hyper-V.  That is were I am right now, Server 2008, Exchange 2007, IIS 7.0, DNS all installed and working properly with all Windows Updates installed.  My NIC's are both listed normally in my device manager and the only thing showing.  I could do another first time install of Hyper-V at this point but I already did this today and ebded up with the same results and error.  What I made sure of today befor the freash install of Hyper-V was that my NIC had the latest drivers and I configured only NIC 1 with a static IP to work with my Host OS, I left NIC 2 alone with any default setting it recieved when I installed Windows 2008 and the latest Dell drivers.  This resulted in the same issue as the first couple installs of Hyper-V.  I do have the exact error below as well as the  "ServerManager.log" after the most recent install try if you would like to see it?

Hyper-V

Virtual Networks Local Area Connection 2

Hyper-V: Restart Pending

<Warning>: You must restart this server to finish the installation process.

Full log (for troubleshooting only)
    Hyper-V: Installation succeeded with errors

<Error>: Attempt to configure Hyper-V failed with error code 0x80041001. Configuring the virtual network for Broadcom BCM5708C NetXtreme II GigE (NDIS VBD Client) #2 failed. Please attempt to configure the virtual network again using Hyper-V Manager.

<Informational>: This is a pre-release version of Hyper-V. <a href="http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=48557">Go to the Hyper-V TechCenter for more information.</a>

<Informational>: Hyper-V is installed, but additional steps are required to begin running server workloads on virtual machines. To add virtual machines, use the new virtual machine wizard by opening the Hyper-V role homepage in Server Manager.

Thanks,

Marc

P.S.  The log file is over 13mb and compresses to about 1.3mb.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 12:24 AM
  • These are known issues with beta and RC0.  Have you upgraded to RC1? 

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 10:22 PM
  • Keith:

I was one of the original posters that experienced the Hyper-V problem with virtual networks on HP server hardware.  So, I have two questions:

1. Does RC1 address the 'known issues' associated with that problem, and

2. Is RC1 "feature complete", or will there be additional functionality in the RTM version?

Thanks.

T. G. Meyer

Thursday, May 22, 2008 10:26 PM
  • I still do comply with the way invalid

DELL 2950

http://bbs.winos.cn/attachments/month_0805/20080523_79c43f0e0ed42ced490181eYmaL0fjvC.png

Keith Mange [MSFT] wrote:

What are the permissions on your HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services key?  Do they include permissions from Exchange?

4. Reboot again.

7. Reinstall Hyper-V.

Friday, May 23, 2008 7:34 AM
  • I am receiving the same problem on my Dell 2900:

Hyper-V: Installation succeeded with errors

<Error>: Attempt to configure Hyper-V failed with error code 0x80041001. Configuring the virtual network for Broadcom BCM5708C NetXtreme II GigE (NDIS VBD Client) #2 failed. Please attempt to configure the virtual network again using Hyper-V Manager.

<Informational>: This is a pre-release version of Hyper-V. <a href="http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=48557">Go to the Hyper-V TechCenter for more information.</a>

<Informational>: Hyper-V is installed, but additional steps are required to begin running server workloads on virtual machines. To add virtual machines, use the new virtual machine wizard by opening the Hyper-V role homepage in Server Manager

I am following the instructions above and have executed the netcfg.exe –u vms_pp command to remove 13 additional orphaned adapters, and rebooted the server.  The 2008 Enterprise server hung on stage 3 of 3 after the reboot on configuring updates.  I rebooted it, and I still have the annoying orphaned adapters, that I cannot uninstall.  Certainly I do not have to reload the OS to remove these angry pieces of software?

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 12:34 PM
  •  

Did you install RC1 and do the extra reboot before doing the “netcfg.exe –u vms_pp”?  Those orphaned adapters can only be removed by uninstalling RC1 (i.e. running netcfg.exe after upgrading to RC1).

Can you share your \windows\inf\setupapi.app.log?

You should see the following for every one of the orphaned adapters:

“VMSNOTIFY: UninstallMiniport(), guid=…”

To answer an earlier questions in this thread – RC1 addresses a number problems creating external switches (i.e. “SetupSwitch failed”)  and the orphaned adapters.

• Proposed as answer by David Shen Tuesday, June 03, 2008 7:42 AM
    Friday, May 30, 2008 5:55 PM
  • Have a look if the "Microsoft Virtual Swith Protocol" is checkd under the card settings (Same place where you get TCP/IP) and uncheck it.

That worked for me.
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 8:38 AM
  • Hello,

I just ran into this issue on Hyper-V Server 2008 R2.  To resolve it I did:

netcfg -u vms_pp

netcfg -l c:\windows\winsxs\amd64_wvms_pp.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.1638

5_none_beda85050b13680c\wvms_pp.inf -c p -i vms_pp

Here is my blog post on this:
    http://nathanlasnoski.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!F7A33F1F9EBD9237!455.entry

Thanks,

Nathan Lasnoski

Monday, October 05, 2009 7:44 PM
  • Hi,

I was having this issue with Windows 2008 R2 and none of the proposed solutions worked for me.  It turned out to be an issue of some sort between the Broadcom BACS software and Hyper-V.  I have four NICs teamed together into two virtual NICs, each on a separate VLAN.  I did not include one of those BACS virtual NICs in the Hyper-V virtual network configuration since it is for a future project.  Hyper-V really didn't like this at all.

I could only create a virtual network switch in Hyper-V if the BACS virtual NIC was enabled.  Even though it would save the settings, the cluster would not recognize it and so migration would fail on the network connection every time.

I removed the second, unused virtual BACS NIC and then Hyper-V was happy.  Not only could I create the Hyper-V virtual switch but the cluster recognized it for the first time since installation of the OS and live migration worked like a champ.

Maybe this will help someone else.

Thanks,

Fred
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 7:00 AM
  • BlumIT,

There is an easier way.  I found that if I reboot the machine in safe mode, the services that are hanging the computer because the NIC has no IP will not start, then the update service can restore the NIC that it took over.  After that, reboot the computer again normally and BAM!  It worked for me twice already.

- Rashad Rivera
      Omegus Prime, LLC
    - Rashad Rivera www.omegusprime.com
    Monday, February 01, 2010 2:09 PM
  • I got this error message and the solution was much easier for me.  I had the HP network configuration utility open in another window.  This caused the error.  As soon as I closed that program, I was able to create the Virtual Network.
    Friday, February 22, 2013 4:03 PM