none
Licensing for Server 2008r2 Enterprise.

Question

• Morning All,

We're entering our second year on our current agreement and I was hoping someone would be able to advise me on renewing our EES Licensing for our Physical Servers running 2008r2 Enterprise.

We have 17 Physical Servers (down from about 31 last year due to virtualising some of them). Our previous licensing was for 31x Windows 2008r2 Enterprise Licenses.

I've got a few renewal quotes on this. Our existing supplier is now quoting 17x Server Enterprise Licenses however another company is quoting 34x Server Standard licenses which works out a lot cheaper.

According to the second supplier, Server Enterprise licensing is now a thing of the past and if you want to be covered you can now do so by buying 2x Standard Licenses. Which actually works out cheaper.

This is good for us as it's obviously cheaper and our existing supplier is also now saying he can quote on 34x Server Standard as opposed to 17x Enterprise. But I wanted clarification that this is ok. Licensing seems a very complicated area so wanted some advice from the fine people on here if possible.

The other thing I've been getting mixed messages over is that because we're halfway through our current agreement that different rules may apply? Some suppliers are saying we have to be licensed for exactly the same products as before (svr2008r2 ent) and some saying we can move to the new Server Standard licenses.

Could someone advise,

Thanks in advance,

Saturday, May 11, 2013 11:43 AM

Answers

All replies