none
Installing a new printer driver

Question

• One of our staff attempted to install a new printer driver onto the server using the Add Printer Wizard. The next day, no one could access the server. Our IT guy spent 15 hours the next day rebuilding the server. Does this scenario sound plausible? I appreciate everyone's comments -- the more, the better.

We are running Windows Server 2003 with three PCs in the local office and remote access to QuickBooks for the off-site bookkeeper. Everyone uses Remote Desktop Connection to access the server.

Monday, March 18, 2013 3:13 PM

Answers

• One of our staff attempted to install a new printer driver onto the server using the Add Printer Wizard. The next day, no one could access the server. Our IT guy spent 15 hours the next day rebuilding the server. Does this scenario sound plausible? I appreciate everyone's comments -- the more, the better.

We are running Windows Server 2003 with three PCs in the local office and remote access to QuickBooks for the off-site bookkeeper. Everyone uses Remote Desktop Connection to access the server.

This sounds bit strange to me ! Installing printer driver on OS doesn't crash server as far as I know. The reason for which server was inaccessible could be some thing else ( as the affected server had been already rebuilt, I doubt there's any logs left which can be analysed now) , it could be a coincidence that, installation of printer driver and server inaccessibility occurred at the same time. 

That being said, some times, corrupt drivers might cause BSODs on the server however, that doesn't  render OS completely useless though !

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Alternate TextVote As Helpful & click on Alternate TextMark As Answer if a post answers your question.

Monday, March 18, 2013 3:32 PM
  • Hello eliza,

Yes, during rebuilt the event logs might lost and this situation and discussion you made might useful for you in any up coming instances on how to react to an issue.
    Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Vote As Helpful & click on  As Answer if a post answers your question.

Regards,
    Prakash Nimmala
    Email ID : prakash.nimmala@hotmail.com

Regards, Prakash Nimmala Skype : Prakash.Nimmala Email ID : prakash.nimmala@hotmail.com Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Vote As Helpful & click on Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

Thursday, March 21, 2013 1:56 PM

All replies

This sounds bit strange to me ! Installing printer driver on OS doesn't crash server as far as I know. The reason for which server was inaccessible could be some thing else ( as the affected server had been already rebuilt, I doubt there's any logs left which can be analysed now) , it could be a coincidence that, installation of printer driver and server inaccessibility occurred at the same time. 

That being said, some times, corrupt drivers might cause BSODs on the server however, that doesn't  render OS completely useless though !

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Alternate TextVote As Helpful & click on Alternate TextMark As Answer if a post answers your question.

Monday, March 18, 2013 3:32 PM
  • Thank you, Santosh, this is very helpful.

Anyone else? I welcome all comments, as I am trying to understand what happened. I have been told that Windows Server 2003 is very robust and doesn't crash easily. IT claimed that there were registry errors and the server was caught in a constant reboot cycle. They tried a repair install and that didn't work. Does this make sense?

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 3:10 PM
  • Hello,

please understand with that error description it is more or less impossible to get a hind what happened on the machine. Just installing a printer driver should not result in a complete reinstall. That sounds for me as hardware problems which just occur on the same time you install the printer driver.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:12 AM
  • Hello Eliza,

Thank you for your Post.

I can say that Installing Print Driver doesn't effect the OS functionality.

I can say if there is Drives Miss match Blue screen death might occur, but according  to your Post the server was not went to Blue screen, It is just not accessible by the Users.

It would be better if the way of troubleshooting went in analyzing the logs and Popup on the server and so on step by step before rebuilding the server.

These kind of issues like Users not able to access the server might even occurs with windows firewall, if any changes have done.

I could recommend you the below steps for a proper fix of the issues:

1) Users not able to access the server , first question we need to understand is Why ? What happen ? and what is the error getting for the users ?

2) Is the server is online ? If server is online, do we able to access the server physically ?

3) If Yes, Then What is happening in the server. Are all the roles and Features which are installed on the server functioning well ?

4) Dig the Event logs to find any more clue in the investigation.

and go on increasing troubleshooting step before going with rebuilding the server.

I can say you that Installation Print drivers doesn't make server to be inaccessible.. Some thing other than this is happened on this server which was needed to be investigated at that time before proceeding with rebuilding.

Please reply me if you have any doubts regarding this issue you faced so that i can try to help you more.

Thank you,

Regards,
    Prakash Nimmala

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 10:40 AM
  • Thank you, I will ask IT to assess our hardware.
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 1:48 PM
  • Thank you, Prakesh. I believe IT went through some troubleshooting steps before rebuilding; nonetheless, I appreciate your response. It helps me to understand the steps required.

In response to your specific steps, I do know that the server was online and IT was able to access the server physically via the attached monitor and keyboard. When IT went through the next step -- roles and features -- is when he found trouble. I don't know if any event logs remain. Would they have been destroyed in the server rebuild?

This conversation is very helpful, thank you everyone.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 1:51 PM
  • Hello eliza,

Yes, during rebuilt the event logs might lost and this situation and discussion you made might useful for you in any up coming instances on how to react to an issue.
    Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Vote As Helpful & click on  As Answer if a post answers your question.

Regards,
    Prakash Nimmala

Regards, Prakash Nimmala Skype : Prakash.Nimmala Email ID : prakash.nimmala@hotmail.com Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Vote As Helpful & click on Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

Thursday, March 21, 2013 1:56 PM