none
How to run cmd or basic utilities in headless mode?

Question

• I think I'm misunderstanding something basic - how do I run a cmd shell or basic utilities like chkdsk and eventvwr on my headless Windows Server 2012 Essentials box please?

I can't see a way to do this from the Dashboard via my clients, and remoting-in to the server, even from the local network, just gives me a similar sandbox to the Dashboard. Am I forced to run chkdsk, eventvwr, etc. only by going non-headless? Thanks!

Saturday, February 02, 2013 6:58 PM

Answers

• By "remoting in", do you mean via a web browser? Using Remote Desktop should give you what you want.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by stansley_MS Sunday, February 03, 2013 5:32 AM
    Sunday, February 03, 2013 12:33 AM

All replies

• Several ways to accomplish this:   (no doubt, there are more)

1.  Install Logmein (free version) on the server and remote into it from your desktop (or any Internet connected computer)

2.  Modify Anywhere Access settings for Remote desktop into server rather than Dashboard

Dashboard | Anywhere Access | Web Site Settings | Customize | Server Connection Options | Open remote Desktop
    3.  Install an Add-in like Advanced Admin Console 

--
    Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
    ============================
    Saturday, February 02, 2013 11:18 PM
  • By "remoting in", do you mean via a web browser? Using Remote Desktop should give you what you want.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by stansley_MS Sunday, February 03, 2013 5:32 AM
    Sunday, February 03, 2013 12:33 AM
  • @Merv - thanks for the extensive answer and multiple options. Good for future reference!

@Phil - I was going via the web browser yes, and had honestly thought I'd already tried RD, but clearly had not. RD works of course. Doh! Thanks!

Sunday, February 03, 2013 5:34 AM