none
Could DFSR demote to FRS?

Question

• I'm very confused about DFSR and FRS when it turns to different windows server version.

If I have a DC with FRS, then once it migrated to DFSR, could it demote back to FRS?

If I have a domain in 2003 functional level, once I promote it to 2008 functional level, would the FRS migrate to DFSR automatically? Or should I do the migration manually?

I notice that in my 2008 R2 server(in a domain with 2003 functional level), both DFSR and FRS are started.Is it mean that the DC is using DFSR & FRS at the same time? If not, why are the two services both started?

Besides, I noticed in this wiki page,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Replication_Service , it was announced that "In Windows Server 2003 R2 and Windows Server 2008DFS Replication is available as well as the File Replication Service.

Does it mean that a 2k3 R2 DC is able to migrate from FRS to DFSR?

But in this blog:http://blogs.technet.com/b/qzaidi/archive/2012/01/16/quickly-explained-migrate-your-sysvol-replication-from-frs-to-dfsr.aspx

It tells that if you want to make a migration, "Your Domain Functional Level (DFL) must be set to Windows Server 2008 or higher i.e. no Windows Server 2003 or older domain controllers". But how could a 2k3 R2 DC keep in a domain with 2k8 domain functional level??????

And there seem to be another question : If requirement of migration is raising domain functional level, then is there any sense of raising domain functional level?(I mean that all of the function upgrade need to post manually although I have raised domain functional level)
    • Edited by Lasia Thursday, December 06, 2012 8:34 AM
    Thursday, December 06, 2012 4:54 AM

Answers

• Hi Lasia,

Please see this part:

Windows 2000 Server and Windows Server 2003 use File Replication Service (FRS) to replicate SYSVOL, whereas Windows Server 2008 uses the newer DFS Replication service when in domains that use the Windows Server 2008 domain functional level, and FRS for domains that run older domain functional levels.

To use DFS Replication to replicate the SYSVOL folder, you can either create a new domain that uses the Windows Server 2008 domain functional level, or you can use the procedure that is discussed in this document to upgrade an existing domain and migrate replication to DFS Replication.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd640019(v=ws.10).aspx

So Windows Server 2008 will use FRS to repliate with Windows 2003 R2, and if there is no system earlier than Windows 2008, and DFL is 2008, you could perform the steps to migrate from FRS to DFSR.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 10, 2012 3:02 AM
  • Hi Shaon Shan,

Thank you for your reply!

Your article partly answer my question, but there are still some confusion (For example, is there any sense of raising domain functional level? I mean that all of the function upgrade need to post manually although I have raised domain functional level)

About DFL Demote, I find an airticle about this: 

How to Revert Back or Lower the Active Directory Forest and Domain Functional Levels in Windows Server 2008 R2 (en-US)  

Wish this work when I need it.

• Marked as answer by Lasia Wednesday, December 19, 2012 3:40 AM
    • Edited by Lasia Wednesday, December 19, 2012 3:41 AM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 2:48 AM

All replies

• Hi Lasia,

Please see this part:

Windows 2000 Server and Windows Server 2003 use File Replication Service (FRS) to replicate SYSVOL, whereas Windows Server 2008 uses the newer DFS Replication service when in domains that use the Windows Server 2008 domain functional level, and FRS for domains that run older domain functional levels.

To use DFS Replication to replicate the SYSVOL folder, you can either create a new domain that uses the Windows Server 2008 domain functional level, or you can use the procedure that is discussed in this document to upgrade an existing domain and migrate replication to DFS Replication.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd640019(v=ws.10).aspx

So Windows Server 2008 will use FRS to repliate with Windows 2003 R2, and if there is no system earlier than Windows 2008, and DFL is 2008, you could perform the steps to migrate from FRS to DFSR.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 10, 2012 3:02 AM
  • Hi Shaon Shan,

Thank you for your reply!

Your article partly answer my question, but there are still some confusion (For example, is there any sense of raising domain functional level? I mean that all of the function upgrade need to post manually although I have raised domain functional level)

About DFL Demote, I find an airticle about this: 

How to Revert Back or Lower the Active Directory Forest and Domain Functional Levels in Windows Server 2008 R2 (en-US)  

Wish this work when I need it.

• Marked as answer by Lasia Wednesday, December 19, 2012 3:40 AM
    • Edited by Lasia Wednesday, December 19, 2012 3:41 AM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 2:48 AM