Hibernate is not working

Question

• Hello, after using hibernate for a few days from the installation of the server 2008 r2 it is not working any more and even when I try from the command prompt; C:\Users\Administrator>shutdown.exe /h The system cannot find the file specified.(2) When I try it the scrren goes black for a couple of seconds and then it turns back to the desktop. I tried the powercfg command to enable hibernate but in vain. Any help pls
    Monday, September 21, 2009 11:30 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The system cannot find the file specified.

>> According to this error, seems the system can’t find the shutdown.exe. Please navigate to C:\Windows\system32\ to check whether shutdown.exe is there.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Wednesday, September 23, 2009 9:49 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The system cannot find the file specified.

>> According to this error, seems the system can’t find the shutdown.exe. Please navigate to C:\Windows\system32\ to check whether shutdown.exe is there.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Wednesday, September 23, 2009 9:49 AM
  • hi acmsoft,

i agree with vincent,

hybernation , sleep are embedded in windows as a part of power management, and these dll inturn call the shutdown.exe.

what happens when you issue the command

start --> run --> shutdown -r (this command shoudl restart the server )

sainath !analyze
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 1:32 AM
  • Hi,
        I have the same problem.
        The file shutdown.exe exist in c:\windows\system32, for example I can call with the "/?" argument for get the help and it really exist.
        But if you run "c:\windows\system32\shutdown.exe /h", the screen goes black, you see some disk activity, and nothing more. You press a key and the screen come back with the error "The system cannot find the file specified.(2)" in response to the hibernation try.
        If try to hibernate with the power button the process is the same, but without any alert or advise. 
        I do the same checks, disable/enable hibernation with powercfg.exe, and later change the file size from the default 75% to 100% following some Microsoft guide without success.
        In the events I not find any usefull.
        Anyone know how you can debug the hibernation process?.
    Please excuse my english.

Sebastian
    Monday, November 02, 2009 7:18 AM
  • I have the same issue.  When I invoke "shutdown /h" from command line, it returns this error message: "The system cannot find the file specified.(2)"  Yes, the shutdown.exe is where it belongs and it behaves as expected for any other command line options.  Why, oh, why, can't Microsoft learn to put the FILE NAME in their darned error messages!
    Sunday, December 06, 2009 4:48 AM
  • Hi,

I got the same problem with the hibernate/sleep mode on my Windows 7 Ultimate - and it came out, that it was due to an installation of an Linux-Bootmanager (OpenSuse 11.1 / Grub), which obviously removed the "active" flag from the windows partition.

My solution was to add the grub option "makeactive". After that, hibernate and sleep mode worked again very well :-D

I suppose that it will also work in other environments where just the "active flag" has been ommited from the windows partition. (go to Start -> right click Computer -> Manage -> Disk Management -> more actions -> all tasks -> mark partition as active)
    WARNING: this was not tested by me and is just an educated guess!

Hope this helps
    T.
    Monday, January 04, 2010 10:12 AM
  • I am also having the same issue

c:\shutdown.exe /h

The system cannot find the file specified.(2)

I checked and hiberfil.sys is there, the shutdown.exe file is there. Im running win7 home professional x64 on an acer laptop with linux dual boot, and grub as a boot loader. I tried setting the C:\  windows partition active but this changed nothing.

I seem to have resolved the issue. Due to the pc coming with a recovery partition, C:\ was not the drive that was supposed to be the active partition. Acer installed the windows bootloader  on a hidden 100MB boot partition. Once i set that as active hibernation worked properly

• Edited by oczer Monday, April 26, 2010 9:29 AM problem solved
    Monday, April 26, 2010 9:06 AM