none
Windows 2003 Server - Web Edition

Question

• Ok.  I know that Windows 2003 Server Web Edition has a built in SMB connection limit of 10.  And I think that I've read that if you use non-anonymous authentication to web pages, that can count towards the limit.  Can anyone confirm this?  I'm also wondering if there is a specific error that is written to the event log in the case that the connection limit is reached or exceeded.  Once the limit is met, if someone disconnects, will it allow the new connection then?

The reason I'm asking is that we have a vendor-supplied application system, and periodically one of the servers stops accepting any connections to any of its shared directories.  I've searched the event log, and can't find any errors; and when i check the number of connections to shared resources in compmgmt, its usually around 6 or so.  The only method we've found of restoring availability thus far is to reboot the server, or recycle the server service.  (which sometimes hangs and forces the reboot anyway)

Any thoughts?

Eric
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:02 PM

Answers

• Hello Eric,

Yes. Windows Server 2003 Web Edition havs the limitation of 10 inbound server message block (SMB) connections. Once the limitation is met, we can disconnect one open session to allow the new connection as needed.

Computer management -> System Tools -> Shared Folders - > Sessions

Hope this can be helpful.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Monday, June 01, 2009 3:57 AM
    Friday, May 29, 2009 12:43 PM