workgroup machine printing to network domain printer

Question

• Hello.

I work at a university, and we are trying to figure the best way to allow students to print to our domain print server (server 2008R2) from their personal machines which are NOT on our domain.

In the past, we had a combined network file and print server, so to authenticate into that machine they would just have to map and log into their network storage share.  Now they are seperate servers and students have no method to authenticate into the print server, besides opening a run command, typing in \\servername, authenticating and closing the windows.

This is not a viable solution for us.  I looked into internet printing for a while, then realized it is not practical because it will not work if UAC is enabled on the client machines!

Any ideas on how to easily get non domain machines to authenticate using the students AD accounts? When a printer is first installed, it asks for authentication, but once that user logs out or restarts the machine, it tries to log in with their local user account on the machine which fails.

Thanks

Friday, April 23, 2010 5:27 AM

Answers

• We do not want students to have to install the print drivers and be directly printing to the printer by IP address. We have a workaround, I found that if you use the net use command without a drive letter, it will open a connection to a server, allow you to choose different credentials without mapping a drive letter.

I created a .vbs script which will sit on their desktops that prompts for username, masks password, and then will initiate a session with our print server with those credentials. We are still testing it, and in one week we have a group of 60 students coming.

Does anyone see any potential issues with this configuration?

• Marked as answer by Rybal Friday, June 04, 2010 1:57 PM
    Friday, June 04, 2010 1:49 PM

All replies

• Any Ideas or updates from anyone?
    Friday, May 28, 2010 7:17 PM
  • It's been a while that I have worked on any printing issues, but what comes to mind are these three options for non-domain members.

1) web based printing (internet printing), but you indicated some concerns already.

2) Using the guest account on the print server.  enable it and assign an easy password for students to use.   Allow the "guest" account to print.

3) Allow the students to connect directly to the TCP/IP port on the print device.  This would allow them to bypass the print server, but would require them to install the correct driver locally.

Option 2, appears to be viable for your situation?

Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
    Friday, May 28, 2010 7:37 PM
  • Jorge has the right answer(s).  Option 3 is how we would normally do it.
    Wednesday, June 02, 2010 7:11 PM
  • We do not want students to have to install the print drivers and be directly printing to the printer by IP address. We have a workaround, I found that if you use the net use command without a drive letter, it will open a connection to a server, allow you to choose different credentials without mapping a drive letter.

I created a .vbs script which will sit on their desktops that prompts for username, masks password, and then will initiate a session with our print server with those credentials. We are still testing it, and in one week we have a group of 60 students coming.

Does anyone see any potential issues with this configuration?

• Marked as answer by Rybal Friday, June 04, 2010 1:57 PM
    Friday, June 04, 2010 1:49 PM