none
Windows Server 2008 vs Windows Server 2012

Question

• Hello,

I'm sure this has been asked before, but which one do you prefer and why? Right now I have Windows Server 2008 installed and I'm not sure if I want to go to R2 or 2012. I like R2 a lot, but it is nice that 2012 is the latest and has more features. On the other hand, I haven't been a fan of Windows 8 because I feel like it's a neutered version of Windows that appeals to amateurs. What do you guys think? I would appreciate any help!

I would like to make a poll but I don't see a way to ...

Monday, February 25, 2013 7:28 PM

Answers

• Hello,

if you buy now a new server OS version, why not using it? I cannot really understand the discussions about the new GUI. You have to learn using it as that will not be set to the older versions.

If you have no specific software that requires older OS versions i would always go the new way. This brings a lot of new features and options for management and also makes it a lot easier to manage server groups for example from a single interface now.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Monday, February 25, 2013 7:53 PM
  • If there is no reason for you to upgrade to 2012, then stick with the version you have.  Keep in mind that Windows Server is not free so there must be some business driver that makes sense for you to spend the additional dollars on the upgrade.

Now if there is a business driver to move to Windows Server 2012, then you should proceed.  

If you choose to do nothing, then the next critical point will be at the time where there is where the OS you are running is out of mainstream support.

IT Knowledge Base | itgeared.com |

Monday, February 25, 2013 7:57 PM

All replies

• Hello,

if you buy now a new server OS version, why not using it? I cannot really understand the discussions about the new GUI. You have to learn using it as that will not be set to the older versions.

If you have no specific software that requires older OS versions i would always go the new way. This brings a lot of new features and options for management and also makes it a lot easier to manage server groups for example from a single interface now.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Monday, February 25, 2013 7:53 PM
  • If there is no reason for you to upgrade to 2012, then stick with the version you have.  Keep in mind that Windows Server is not free so there must be some business driver that makes sense for you to spend the additional dollars on the upgrade.

Now if there is a business driver to move to Windows Server 2012, then you should proceed.  

If you choose to do nothing, then the next critical point will be at the time where there is where the OS you are running is out of mainstream support.

IT Knowledge Base | itgeared.com |

Monday, February 25, 2013 7:57 PM