none
filtering DFS replication

Question

• Guys we use DFSR in order to move data into the central data center from our remote locations. I recently went in and applied filters so that DFSR could not replicate various file types such as PST files however it still seems that DFSR is replicating these files. So my question is how do I get DFSR to stop replicating the files I filtered out do I need to recycle the DFSR service when making such a change btw I had several files types so I had to add them via adsiedit?
    Monday, March 05, 2012 10:52 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You will need to wait for the AD replication after change settings of DFSR. You can also force an AD replication to sync the settings with other server targets.

See this article:

Edit the replication filters for a replicated folder

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc776396(WS.10).aspx

Filter changes are not applied immediately. The updated filters must be replicated to all domain controllers, and each member in the replication group must poll its closest domain controller to obtain the changes. The amount of time this takes depends on Active Directory replication latency and the long polling interval (60 minutes) on each member.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 7:27 AM

All replies

• Hi,

DFS-R doesn't replicate temporary file. You will need to check these PST files' properties to see if they are set as temporary files.

Thanks and Regards
    Scorpio_Milo
    MVP (File System Storage)
    HP Enterprise Services: Solution Architect
    Microsoft Storage Team - File Cabinet Blog
    View my MCP Certifications
    My Blog
    Contact me

Monday, March 05, 2012 11:58 AM
  • Hi,

You will need to wait for the AD replication after change settings of DFSR. You can also force an AD replication to sync the settings with other server targets.

See this article:

Edit the replication filters for a replicated folder

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc776396(WS.10).aspx

Filter changes are not applied immediately. The updated filters must be replicated to all domain controllers, and each member in the replication group must poll its closest domain controller to obtain the changes. The amount of time this takes depends on Active Directory replication latency and the long polling interval (60 minutes) on each member.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 7:27 AM