none
2008 zero service pack - patches? End of life confusing

Question

• Can I get patches for none service packed 2008?

Our app only runs on 2008 sp0.

Do you need a sp2 to get hotfixes?

The lifecycle says extended support until 2020 - so im sure R2 sp2 will be very happy but what about 2008, none R2, with no service pack - will i stil lget updates? 

It is not clear on any website and calling microsoft they just pointed me to here.... their official site  says contact a microsoft representitive..... a what?? where?? No help. Partners hang up on me, not their problem.

The table here (cant post link)  makes no sense at all - will i get updates until 2020 with sp0 or not?  It says 'support' for the service pack is 24 months but I dont want 'support' I want security hotfixes.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 10:41 AM

Answers

• #1. Can I get patches for none service packed 2008? - Yes

#2. Do you need a sp2 to get hotfixes? - No, however, some of the hotfixes can be installed only if Service Pack is available. If you do not install Service Pack, you might not get all the host fixes.

#3. The lifecycle says extended support until 2020 - so im sure R2 sp2 will be very happy but what about 2008, none R2, with no service pack - will i stil lget updates?  - updates and hotfixes will be available till end of product life cycle only, not beyond that.

#4. will i get updates until 2020 with sp0 or not? - Refer #3.

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 11:19 AM
  • You must install the latest Service Pack to continue getting updates. No, you will not get security updates until 2020 if you do not install the latest service pack.

The only sensible thing to do is upgrade your app since you say "our" which seems to imply you control it.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 12:15 PM

All replies

• #1. Can I get patches for none service packed 2008? - Yes

#2. Do you need a sp2 to get hotfixes? - No, however, some of the hotfixes can be installed only if Service Pack is available. If you do not install Service Pack, you might not get all the host fixes.

#3. The lifecycle says extended support until 2020 - so im sure R2 sp2 will be very happy but what about 2008, none R2, with no service pack - will i stil lget updates?  - updates and hotfixes will be available till end of product life cycle only, not beyond that.

#4. will i get updates until 2020 with sp0 or not? - Refer #3.

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 11:19 AM
  • You must install the latest Service Pack to continue getting updates. No, you will not get security updates until 2020 if you do not install the latest service pack.

The only sensible thing to do is upgrade your app since you say "our" which seems to imply you control it.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 12:15 PM