none
BranchCache and hardware NLB

Question

• Hi :

I have a web farm nodes  running Windows 2008 R2 with Branch Cache feature enabled. The web farm nodes are being accessed using hardware Network load balancer.

My BranchCache enabled clients are not benifiting from the cache. Is this because of the hardware load balancer?

ammarhasayen
    Thursday, June 02, 2011 2:15 PM

All replies

• Hi ammarhasayen,

Thanks for posting here.

Are you using IIS in this scenario ? and what’s the directory path you set for websites ? UNC path? And which branch mode do you set?

I think NLB is nothing to do in this scenario, the branch cache feature will only improve the website metadata loading performance where data is placed at remote place and access via UNC path.

Take look the old thread below:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsserver2008r2branchoffice/thread/68573f86-4626-4e8b-b3c9-d0b455a50ad3/

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Tiger Li Monday, June 13, 2011 10:26 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by AmmarHasayen Monday, July 04, 2011 2:53 PM
    Friday, June 10, 2011 6:09 AM
  • it is a site with download content ...

My question is very simple

Will branchcache break if the content server is accessed using a VIP that is locating in a hardware load balancer?

ammarhasayen
    Monday, July 04, 2011 2:54 PM
  • ammarhasayen:

BranchCache works with an NLB, Network Load Balancer or in a cluster.  However, you'd probably want to ensure that the same hashes are generated across all of the Windows 2008 R2 servers.  Look at the set key, importkey and exportkey commands.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd979561(WS.10).aspx

Thanks.

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 1:27 AM