none
RAID 5 ARRAY - Windows Server 2008 R2

Question

• I have recently been delivered a server (which I asked to be pre-configured, operating system installed and RAID 5 configured).

I have booted the server to find that my RAID 5 array is not showing in either my Disk Management nor are the HDD's showing in my device manager.

My operating system is installed on my C: Drive which is a 500gb SATA drive and I have 3 separate 250gb SATA drives that I wanted to stripe my data across for RAID 5 but as I said I cannot see these drives anywhere within windows...

Please help :(

Thursday, January 27, 2011 4:18 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Do you happen to use a non-Microsoft disk management software? As I know, some non-Microsoft disk management products can disable Microsoft Logical Disk Management. Meanwhile, please go to BIOS and see if the other 3 dynamic disks are recognized. Please disconnect the disk, re-connect it, go to Device Management, try to reactivate the disk and see if the RAID-5 disks will be online. Please refer to Reactivate a RAID-5 disk.

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, January 28, 2011 6:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you happen to use a non-Microsoft disk management software? As I know, some non-Microsoft disk management products can disable Microsoft Logical Disk Management. Meanwhile, please go to BIOS and see if the other 3 dynamic disks are recognized. Please disconnect the disk, re-connect it, go to Device Management, try to reactivate the disk and see if the RAID-5 disks will be online. Please refer to Reactivate a RAID-5 disk.

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, January 28, 2011 6:28 AM
  • Can you run diskpart and do a list disk?

diskpart> list disk

send me output from diskpart. I will look into this.

Regards

Satish

Friday, January 28, 2011 7:23 AM