none
Terminal / Remote Desktop Server 2008 - The user profile service service failed to logon. User profile cannot be loaded

Question

• I have just installed a new Server 2008 Remote Desktop/RemoteApps server. We have been trialling various remote applications successfully with minimal issues until this morning when I got a report in that a new user could not open a remote session.

After troubleshooting this, the user in question, and any other user account attempting to log on to the server through remote desktop or a remote application session would bring back a logon message “The user profile service service failed to logon. User profile cannot be loaded."

Event logs show -

"Windows cannot log you on because your profile cannot be loaded. Check that you are connected to the network, and that your network is functioning correctly.  

DETAIL - The system cannot find the path specified."

According to forum searches this can be due to user profiles being deleted but the SID remaining in the registry. In this case the users attempting to log on have do not have a SID entry.

Also permissions to the User profile path are correct and have even been given an "everyone" group full access to the folder and subfolders as a test. 

A folder has also been created manually within the Users folder to see if this would make any difference. Still the same log on issue. 

I can also confirm that the users attemting to logon are successfully authenticating on to the domain according to the security event logs.

I am now at a bit of a dead end, as new users could log on and user profiles were created fine until this morning.

If anyone has any useful suggestions or insite to this issue it would be much appreciated as I am running out of hair to pull out.

Thanks in advance

Friday, August 13, 2010 2:20 PM

Answers

• Issue Resolved. I copied the default user profile from one of our other server 2008 r2s and popped it on to the terminal server. User can now log on.
    Monday, August 16, 2010 12:48 PM

All replies

• So is this only happening for new users? Are these profiles not local? If this is the case then this could be a case of default user profile missing or corrupt.

To view if the profile does exist, go to:

1) Open My Computer, and select Tools

2) Select Folder Options. Then go to the View Tab.

3) Select or check "Show Hidden Files and Folders.", "Hide extensions for know files types," "Hide Protected operating system files." Then Ok.

You should have a folder called Default User. If the folder does exist, it may be corrupt.

If the folder does not exist, then create a new folder and name it "Default User."

If the folder does exist, delete or rename it, create a new folder and name it "Default User"

Note:
    The Default User will need to be hidden.

Let us know if this helps or not.

Naresh Negi (MSFT - Windows Performance Team)
    Saturday, August 14, 2010 11:02 PM
  • I created the hidden folder "Defualt User" under the Users folder, tried loggin in as a new user, but no joy I'm afraid. Thanks for the advise anyway. Just to add to my first post. This isn't just remote users, if a new user tries to log on locally the same happens. Also another thing I have noticed is that old user profiles from before 13/08/2010 have dissappeared and those users can no longer log on to this server.
    Monday, August 16, 2010 10:59 AM
  • Issue Resolved. I copied the default user profile from one of our other server 2008 r2s and popped it on to the terminal server. User can now log on.
    Monday, August 16, 2010 12:48 PM
  •  

Hi,

Ran in to the same problem. I am also not able to use Remote Desktop from my WIN7 system to logon to the Win 2008 R2 Server.

I created another copy of the default folder (under c\ Users), renamed the old one, changed the new one to "default" and ....... it worked.

I was able to logon locally & remotely. Thx.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 9:05 AM

I am also facing the same problem in 5 servers.

Does Copying the "Default" folder from any of the servers and replacing with it will work? As all the 5 application servers are facing the same problem and I cannot use the profiles from these servers to replace. Please advice.

Thanks.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 1:09 PM
  • Problem still persists...Any help pls???

Sunday, June 17, 2012 3:38 AM
  • So by copying the 'default' user folder "c:\users\default" from another server that doesn't have the problem to the "c:\users\default folder" on the server having the issues, my problem was solved and I was able to log on successfully! YAHOO :)

Mia Ormonde

• Proposed as answer by MiaOrmonde Friday, July 20, 2012 5:03 PM
    Friday, July 20, 2012 5:03 PM
  • this is not working for me.

iam running server 2012. Is there any other solution?

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 8:02 PM
  • Excelent!!! i do it and worked. thanks

• Edited by Fredy Ruano Monday, January 27, 2014 8:48 PM
    Monday, January 27, 2014 8:48 PM