none
Managing download time and speed in wsus

Question

• Hi All

I like to know if it is possible to manage download updates in wsus 3.0

i mean to dictate to wsus when download updates from internet (for example to exclude work hours in order to prevent internet activities of employees and make them slow)

and also tell wsus the maximum speed it can use (which i think maybe it can be done using gp and BITS service configuration)

and also is it possible to see exactly which files are being downloaded now (for example wsus shows that update kb787651 or win xp sp3 or .. is downloading now )

Thanks

Thursday, April 05, 2012 11:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

i mean to dictate to wsus when download updates from internet (for example to exclude work hours in order to prevent internet activities of employees and make them slow)

Approve the updates in the off-work time:)

and also tell wsus the maximum speed it can use (which i think maybe it can be done using gp and BITS service configuration)

The max speed depends on your internet bandwidth.BITS just optimizes the downloading process.

and also is it possible to see exactly which files are being downloaded now (for example wsus shows that update kb787651 or win xp sp3 or .. is downloading now )

Simply through the WSUS console----Enable the "File Status" column,if it shows the update is downloading,it means the files are being downloaded now.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, April 06, 2012 6:13 AM
  • i mean to dictate to wsus when download updates from internet (for example to exclude work hours in order to prevent internet activities of employees and make them slow)

See the WSUS Technical Reference: Improve WSUS Download Performance with BITS.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2012)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin

Monday, April 09, 2012 3:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Approve the updates in the off-work time:)

The max speed depends on your internet bandwidth.BITS just optimizes the downloading process.

Simply through the WSUS console----Enable the "File Status" column,if it shows the update is downloading,it means the files are being downloaded now.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, April 06, 2012 6:13 AM
  • Approve the updates in the off-work time:)

Thanks For Your Answer

it seems a little weird to me why microsoft has not put such a simple ability in there to determine when and with what speed downloads should be done

assume I have 2000 files to download (which we dont know their size) instead of telling wsus when to download them i should remember every afternoon i select some of them and approve them to be downloaded. it is not good

maybe it would be better to set a scheduled task to stop update services in the morning and start it in the afternoon.

and about speed

couldnt we use BITS in group Policy Settings ?

Limit The Maximum Network Bandwidth For BITS Background Transfers

http://sourcedaddy.com/windows-7/bits-group-policy-settings.html

and by the way, why this technet forum does not have tagging ?!

for example i would like to tag some part of your answer and tag it in a box and write about that (like i did about the first sentence here which i made it bold)

this is a very simple thing in all kind of forums. is is not included or maybe i cant find it !

• Edited by MohammadG Friday, April 06, 2012 8:25 AM
    Friday, April 06, 2012 8:24 AM
  • i mean to dictate to wsus when download updates from internet (for example to exclude work hours in order to prevent internet activities of employees and make them slow)

See the WSUS Technical Reference: Improve WSUS Download Performance with BITS.

Monday, April 09, 2012 3:17 AM
  • Thanks Lawrence

i did some changes to the BITS policy before but as I think its default is set to no limitation in speed, it was useless (and indeed my test showed that it was. for example i have a 3mb internet connection and i set BITS to 2mb limit but it was downloading slower than 1mbps)

anyway, by changing some DNS settings and disabling mcafee access protection on client and server, the speed got better but maybe i should not expect wsus updates to be downloaded as fast as good browsers or download accelerators ;)

Monday, April 09, 2012 3:34 AM
  • but maybe i should not expect wsus updates to be downloaded as fast as good browsers or download accelerators ;)

Correct. It is called the Background Intelligent Transfer Service for a reason. It is not a foreground process, and will not download in real-time like your browser does interactively.

Monday, April 09, 2012 3:51 AM