none
Server backup problems (Azure and local)

Question

• I am testing server backups (both local and Azure) and see some strange issues. I am wondering if someone else experienced them.

1. Backup to Azure: backup is consuming all available bandwidth and starving all other machines on the network. Is there any way to configure Azure backup either by  limiting the bandwidth it is using or by only allowing it to run at off hours(night)

2. Local server backup (to iSCSI target). The backup settings are ignored. I set up the backup as incremental and to run only once a day, but backup seems to ignore these settings and use the defaults (full backup twice a day). Since the server folders are quite large the second backup of the day fails since the first one is still running. Rebooting the server and resetting the backup did not help.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 1:59 PM

Answers

• This page (part of the Windows Server 2012 Essentials online documentation) should help with the Azure question. Did you search before you posted, since this is the first result on Google when searching for "manage online backup essentials" and several other obvious search phrases?

Regarding the iSCSI issue, I don't use iSCSI, as I don't have a dedicated network for the purpose. You're really much better off backing up locally to media you can take off-site.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 2:22 PM
  • For your first Question, "Yes". The final panel in the Setup Wizard allows you to set bandwidth in both Work and non-work times. You can also define both "work hours" and "Work days".

For the second question, it sounds as though you are not using the Dashboard to configure your backups? If so try using it. Subsequent backups after the first will be much quicker.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 2:26 PM

All replies

• This page (part of the Windows Server 2012 Essentials online documentation) should help with the Azure question. Did you search before you posted, since this is the first result on Google when searching for "manage online backup essentials" and several other obvious search phrases?

Regarding the iSCSI issue, I don't use iSCSI, as I don't have a dedicated network for the purpose. You're really much better off backing up locally to media you can take off-site.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 2:22 PM
  • For your first Question, "Yes". The final panel in the Setup Wizard allows you to set bandwidth in both Work and non-work times. You can also define both "work hours" and "Work days".

For the second question, it sounds as though you are not using the Dashboard to configure your backups? If so try using it. Subsequent backups after the first will be much quicker.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 2:26 PM