none
Cluster in a Cluster on Hyper-V R2

Question

• Does Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V Support cluster in a cluster via SCSI passthough or VHD? I remember seein that it may be supported in the pre-release materials, but I'm trying to get it working and its not playing along. If I remember correctly, the storeport mini driver in 2008 Hyper-V didn't support scsi 3 persistent reservations... does 2008 R2 support them in any fashion?

I've got a 6 node virtual cluster running Server 2008 R2, connected together with a FC SAN connecting them. I'm trying to setup a file server cluster consisting of two guest VMs that are on the virtual cluster. Is this feasable, or should I go back to the drawing board?
    Somthing
    Friday, March 05, 2010 7:25 PM

Answers

• Two VMs cannot share the same VHD nor the same passthrough disk.

The only way that you could do this is if the two VMs are on different hosts.
    (this covers the Hyper-V problem)

Now the cluster between two VMs.
    You can only have an Active / Passive node cluster (since you are talking file sharing).

The greatest flexiblity is when presenting the LUNs directly to the VMs using iSCSI.

(However I beleive that this question is best asked in the Clustering forum)
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverClustering/threads

It would be interesting to see what those folks have to say.

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful)
    Friday, March 05, 2010 8:02 PM