none
HyperV and Remote Desktop Connection

Question

• I have a HyperV MS server running MS Server 2008 R2.  The primary server and two of three VMs connect via Remote Desktop.  One of the three VMs does not.  All four servers are configured the same vis a vie Remote Desktop.  So why doesn't the one VM allow remote desktop connections?
    Monday, July 29, 2013 4:44 PM

Answers

• RDS can allow for a number of simultaneous connections that is only limited by your bandwidth and server hardware. because RDS support at least two connection but terminal server connect multiple connection simultaneously.    

To do so, you will need a multi-server infrastructure of at least two machines to host the various RDS roles as well as at least one domain controller. TS Gateway and RDS Session Hosts shouldn't be included on a domain controller

Monday, August 05, 2013 6:48 AM
  • Hi mjbeurmann,

seems to me like there are some misunderstandings in this thread. Maybe this brings some clarity.

Do you want to connect to the VM via RDP to manage the Server or do you want to use the VM as a full blown terminal Server? The mentioned roles "RDS Gateway, RDS Connection Broker, RDS Session Host, etc.  are only needed if you want to run a real terminal Server. They are not needed to connect via rdp for managing the machine.

You wrote:
    "2.  The VM is accessible to another machine by other methods.  I can ping it.  I can also access the machine via the HyperV management console, which I understand uses remote desk top software."

That's only half the truth. The Hyper-V Management Console is a real console session (like a physical attached screen or an ILO Board conneciton) which connects via VMBUS and not via network. If it would be real RDP, you would not be able to see the VM Boot in the console window. Nevertheless we use some parts of the rdp protocoll for transfering the screen content.

Hope that helped

Kind regards

André

Monday, August 05, 2013 9:26 AM

All replies

• There is nothing specific in Hyper-V itself that would prevent RDC to a guest VM.  You may however have a configuration issue with the VM that is not working properly.  You should confirm:

1.  The VM is connected to the correct virtual switch.

2.  The VM is accessible from another machine by other methods (e.g. Can you Ping it?).

3.  You have Remote Desktop enabled and the service is running.

4.  There is a firewall exception in the appropriate profile for Remote Desktop, or the firewall is disabled.

5.  You are a member of the local Remote Desktop Users group.

Monday, July 29, 2013 5:03 PM
  • Hi Neil,  Thanks for your reply.  Here's my understanding of the situation relative to the points you raise:

1.  As far as I can tell, the VM is connected to the same VM as the other VMs.  Is there something specific that I should check to verify this?

2.  The VM is accessible to another machine by other methods.  I can ping it.  I can also access the machine via the HyperV management console, which I understand uses remote desk top software.

3.  I do have Remote Desktop enabled.  I will check the service to ensure that it is running.  I can't do that until I return to the office later today.

4.  The firewall is configured to allow Remote Desktop connections. I also turned off the firewall to test, and I was still unable to connect.

5.  The user ID I use is configured to allow a remote desktop connection.  I am not sure what you mean by local "Remote Desktop Users group?"

Monday, July 29, 2013 5:49 PM
  • I can't tell if your talking about a hyper V server(host) you can't connect to or a Virtual machine (guest) if it's the host this will happen if you install RDS on a hyperV host you need to connect to the console "<server name> /admin" in order to rdp into them, I guess I would try to connect via the console regardless Host or Guest see if they allows connection.  
    Monday, July 29, 2013 7:27 PM
  • Hi mjbeurmann,

I would like to check if there is any update.

Thanks.

Best Regards
    Jeremy Wu

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 5:43 AM
  • HI you restart the system goto bios menu option, security option is there virtualization option just enabled that after check it & one more just right click the my computer remote settings option in the wizard left side just click that  2nd Allow the  connection just click and check it.

Thanks & regards

Nagapushanam Patnaik. V

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 5:57 AM
  • Hi Jeremy,

Here is what I found regarding Remote Desktop Services:

All the following services were running and on automatic:

- Remote Access Auto Connection Manager

- Remote Access Connection Manager

- Remote Desktop Services

- Remote Desktop Services User Mode Port Redirector

I am not sure of other services that I should check?

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 11:03 PM
  • Hi Nagapusshanam Patnaik V,  The server with which I am having this problem is a VM server running Windows Server 2008 R2.  I could not find a BIOS for this VM.  If you are speaking about the host machine, I can connect to the host machine via remote desktop without issue. 

Thursday, August 01, 2013 12:14 AM
  • Hi Darren,  The machine with which I am unable to connect to via Remote Desktop is a VM machine running Windows Server 2008 R2.  The host machine does allow me to connect via Remote Desktop.  I can connect to all the VMs on this server via the Hyper V Management console.  I can connect to two other VMs on this host via Remote Desktop.  I should add that all machines, host and 3 VMs are all running on Windows Server 2008 R2.
    Thursday, August 01, 2013 12:19 AM
  • Is it a server that maybe the listening port 3389 was changed? check to see if it's even listening and check this reg key

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\TerminalServer\WinStations\RDP-tcp\PortNumber"

see if you have more than one connection listed under winstations, I've seen machines listening on two ports too.

see if it was changed

Friday, August 02, 2013 3:47 PM
  • Is your hyper-v server the full GUI install?  What happens if you try to Remote Desktop to the VM from the hyper-v server itself instead of a remote workstation?

I would also suggest using a packet capture tool at this point.  You might see something interesting in the traffic.

Friday, August 02, 2013 3:48 PM
  • Hi mjbeurmann,

How is the issue going now. I would like to check if you need further assistance.

Thanks.

Best Regards
    Jeremy Wu

Monday, August 05, 2013 5:47 AM
  • RDS can allow for a number of simultaneous connections that is only limited by your bandwidth and server hardware. because RDS support at least two connection but terminal server connect multiple connection simultaneously.    

To do so, you will need a multi-server infrastructure of at least two machines to host the various RDS roles as well as at least one domain controller. TS Gateway and RDS Session Hosts shouldn't be included on a domain controller

Monday, August 05, 2013 6:48 AM
  • Hi mjbeurmann,

seems to me like there are some misunderstandings in this thread. Maybe this brings some clarity.

Do you want to connect to the VM via RDP to manage the Server or do you want to use the VM as a full blown terminal Server? The mentioned roles "RDS Gateway, RDS Connection Broker, RDS Session Host, etc.  are only needed if you want to run a real terminal Server. They are not needed to connect via rdp for managing the machine.

You wrote:
    "2.  The VM is accessible to another machine by other methods.  I can ping it.  I can also access the machine via the HyperV management console, which I understand uses remote desk top software."

That's only half the truth. The Hyper-V Management Console is a real console session (like a physical attached screen or an ILO Board conneciton) which connects via VMBUS and not via network. If it would be real RDP, you would not be able to see the VM Boot in the console window. Nevertheless we use some parts of the rdp protocoll for transfering the screen content.

Hope that helped

Kind regards

André

Monday, August 05, 2013 9:26 AM
  • Hi, I know that this thread is a bit old, but I have been unable to resolve this problem.  Here is information that may further clarify:

-> The Host VM server has three VMs, Hyper-V machines.  They all act normal relative to remote desktop save one.  The one to which I cannot connect has a file server role.  I can access the files stored there without any problems. 

-> I have a second Host VM server, also with three VMs, Hyper=v machines.  This second Host VM server is identical (i.e., same hardware) to the one mentioned above, and I can connect to all three VMs on this server via remote desktop.  Each Host VM server has a VM Domain Controller (one primary, one secondary), a file server, and a third machine has no role defined on the first Host VM server and the second Host VM server has a VM with a WSUS role (not active at this time).

I just went through an exercise to update the Hosts and VMs with Microsoft updates.  I succeeded on all machines save the VM to which I am unable to connect via remote desktop.

All servers are full GUI installations.  I just can't see any difference in the remote desktop or communications configuration settings from machine to machine that would prevent the remote desktop from working, but for some reason the one machine doesn't connect.  Thank you all for your help!  If you have any additional insights or suggestions, that would be terrific!

Michael Beurmann

Thursday, December 12, 2013 9:55 PM
  • Michael,

I am experiencing the same problem.  It just started today after I restarted the virtual server.  It is a windows 2003 virtual server running on a 2008 R2 Enterprise Virtual host.  Prior to restarting the server I was able to RDP to the 2003 virtual server.  Now I can't.  I have confirmed the settings have not changed, with regard to Enabling remote desktop, network connectivity, firewall etc.  I am able to access the server through the Hyper V manager only.  I have checked the registry to ensure it is listening on port 3389 and that no other hives have been added with other ports.

It is a bit of a dilemma as it was working fine up until I restarted the server and the other virtual servers are all still accessible by RDP.  I have checked to confirm all the remote desktop services are running.  I have restarted this server before without any issues.  If you have any further information it would be greatly appreciated.

Peter

Sunday, January 12, 2014 6:27 PM