none
WIndows Server 2012 Event email notification deprecated, really, kidding right?

Question

• WIndows server 2012 Event email notification deprecated?  Are there any plans to change this?  Is there another solution other than the powershell solution I have read about that will not work for my issue.  This is a deal breaker on upgrading to Server 2012 for me.
    Monday, December 03, 2012 6:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

This function is removed from Windows 2012, and powershell is the most popular solution for this, it seems like script is the most known way to do that, here is link for you, please refer to it:

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/271536-top-31-favorite-features-in-windows-server-2012

Regards,

Yan Li

Cataleya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 06, 2012 8:13 AM
  • Your statement that "PowerShell is the most popular solution" Isn't it really the only solution at this point? Now I'm having to learn this new method in PowerShell and create a PowerShell scripts for each schedule task and event I need an email alert on. This will delay the deployment of any Windows Server 2012 version in my environments for several months. Thanks, for the response.

Thursday, December 06, 2012 7:21 PM
  • Hi Cataleya,

I understand that this (useful) function is removed from Windows 2012 and that powershell is the most popular solution for this and that Microsoft now encourages IT Pros to use powershell for this, however I really don't understand why in Event Viewer the System –> Attach a Task wizard to send an email notification using task scheduler is still available.

Should I expect that the Task Scheduler will not create the task if choosing this "deprecated feature" ?

Thanks and Regards,

Massimiliano

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 4:00 PM
  • Hi

I must admit when I first came across not being able to add an event notification on my new server 2012 core server I though great bloody MS again.

However after a few hours testing a very simple powershell script I had email notifications working with event log entries for my backups jobs.

It really was very simple and straight forword

All I did was create new basic task > when a specific event is logged > select log > source > event id > select start program >

now enter powershell.exe under Program/scripts

Add argument > point this to the powershell script, eg C:\scripts\email.ps1

now the very simple powershell script: email.sp1

Send-MailMessage -to <recipient email address> -Subject "Backup Success" -body "The server backup job on server1 completed successfully" -smtpserver <your mail server> -from <sender email addreess>

You will have to either sign your scripts or as I did set the execution policy via gpo to remotesigned, this will allow local PowerShell scripts to be executed.

gpo on a win28R2k server Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows PowerShell > Turn on Script Execution

• Proposed as answer by balboa4101 Friday, October 04, 2013 5:32 PM
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 4:27 PM
  • Thanks, RobGilbie!

Your solution worked for me, very simple as you describe it.  Anyway, Microsoft should not go back, we as administrators need to be re-learning same stuff again and again.  That's just like changing the "ping" command to "touch"...nothing improved and just a new stuff to be learned (as if we don't have enough to learn already!!!).

Friday, October 04, 2013 7:11 PM