none
DTC in Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V Cluster

Question

• Hello,

we have several Clusters with Hyper-V, based on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 and also on Windows Server 2012.

In the past (for 2003, 2008), Microsoft stated that a DTC Cluster Role should be configured inside a Cluster.

Actually for Windows Server 2012, I never found anything in the Web saying that this is needed, so I did not configure it for our new Clusters.

The question is:
    Is it needed?
    If yes, whats the difference of using or not using?

Thanks for your answers,
    Jens

jensit.wordpress.com

• Moved by BrianEhMVP Friday, July 19, 2013 4:51 PM
    Friday, July 19, 2013 3:28 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

It is not a MUST in Server 2012.

The “Install Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator”part of the article below might provide some explanation:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189910#MSDTC

Regards

Kevin

Monday, July 22, 2013 7:20 AM
  • DTC - Distributed Transaction Controller.

A cluster does not use any distributed transactions.  The only time I have ever installed DTC was in conjunction with SQL.  And, now it is not even a requirement for all SQL installations.  Install it only if it your applications call for it.  If one of your generic applications require it, then you would need to install it.  However, if the generic applications do not require a DTC, there is no need to install it.

.:|:.:|:. tim

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

It is not a MUST in Server 2012.

The “Install Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator”part of the article below might provide some explanation:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189910#MSDTC

Regards

Kevin

Monday, July 22, 2013 7:20 AM
  • Hi Kevin,

thanks for your answer. Despite of SQL Server, is the DTC from any value, for example in a Hyper-V Cluster or a Cluster with Generic Applications?

Best Regards,
    Jens

jensit.wordpress.com

Monday, July 22, 2013 2:57 PM
  • DTC - Distributed Transaction Controller.

A cluster does not use any distributed transactions.  The only time I have ever installed DTC was in conjunction with SQL.  And, now it is not even a requirement for all SQL installations.  Install it only if it your applications call for it.  If one of your generic applications require it, then you would need to install it.  However, if the generic applications do not require a DTC, there is no need to install it.

.:|:.:|:. tim

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:18 PM