none
no access to the licence server

Question

• hello

i have a branch office outside my country, sometime the link is broken for 2/3 hours

on this site i have user a tse

The licence server is on my main site and i didn't want to move it

My question is , how many time can a tse be disconnected from the licence server

thanks

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 3:30 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Which type CALs you are using, Per Devices CALs or Per Users CALs?

By default, when the Per Device licensing mode is used, after a client logs and authenticates to a terminal server for the first time, and after the terminal server locates a license server, the terminal server issues the client a temporary license. After a client logs on and authenticates to a terminal server for the second time, if the license server is activated and at least one Per Device CAL is installed on the license server and not yet issued, the terminal server issues the client a permanent, Per Device CAL. Per User CALs are not monitored by Terminal Server. This means that even though there is a Per User CAL in the license server database, the Per User CAL is not decremented when it is used. Additionally, if you use the Per User licensing mode, when a client logs on to a terminal server for the second time, the temporary license is not upgraded to a permanent CAL.

In other words, many cases, the RD licensing server refresh time is not the law, this depends on what type of TS user logs on and when there will be.

Depending on your IT environment, for the RD licensing server sake of redundancy, if your concern is that the time(2/3 hours) your license server is down, your client is not denied of connection, then you can have a license server on which you don't have any CALs installed and point your TS to that new license server for the time being. Your clients will keep on getting the temp CALs till the time your new license server is inside grace period. In that time frame, you can reconnect the link/recover/Deactivate/Delete/Uninstall these erroneous licenses installed on your TS Licensing Server.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Dollar Wang
    Forum Support
    TechNet Subscriber Support
    If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Technology changes life……

Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:53 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Which type CALs you are using, Per Devices CALs or Per Users CALs?

By default, when the Per Device licensing mode is used, after a client logs and authenticates to a terminal server for the first time, and after the terminal server locates a license server, the terminal server issues the client a temporary license. After a client logs on and authenticates to a terminal server for the second time, if the license server is activated and at least one Per Device CAL is installed on the license server and not yet issued, the terminal server issues the client a permanent, Per Device CAL. Per User CALs are not monitored by Terminal Server. This means that even though there is a Per User CAL in the license server database, the Per User CAL is not decremented when it is used. Additionally, if you use the Per User licensing mode, when a client logs on to a terminal server for the second time, the temporary license is not upgraded to a permanent CAL.

In other words, many cases, the RD licensing server refresh time is not the law, this depends on what type of TS user logs on and when there will be.

Depending on your IT environment, for the RD licensing server sake of redundancy, if your concern is that the time(2/3 hours) your license server is down, your client is not denied of connection, then you can have a license server on which you don't have any CALs installed and point your TS to that new license server for the time being. Your clients will keep on getting the temp CALs till the time your new license server is inside grace period. In that time frame, you can reconnect the link/recover/Deactivate/Delete/Uninstall these erroneous licenses installed on your TS Licensing Server.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Dollar Wang
    Forum Support
    TechNet Subscriber Support
    If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:53 AM
  • Hi,

Looking forward to your feedback.

Sunday, March 04, 2012 6:23 PM