VLAN not working with VLAN trunk

Question

• Hi all,

Maybe someone can help I am trying to get a VM working with VLAN trunking. I have a Hyper-V host running Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter edition (on a Dell PowerEdge R710) connected to a Cisco 3560G switch. The switch port is a trunk running dot1q encapsulation. The network card is an Intel 10GB AT Server Adapter. I have another VM using a different VLAN on this port/interface already.

A new VLAN was added to the switch, the network team say that the VLAN is setup correctly. The VM is configured with the "Enable VLAN identification" ticked and the VLAN number is specified. The VM cannot ping the gateway address or other machines on the VLAN.

Is there something I can do to take a closer look at what is happening under the hood as it were, so I can further troubleshoot the problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Anthony

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 7:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please perform the following steps to check whether it works.

1. Please navigate to Hyper-V Manager, select the External Virtual Network you created.

2. Please check the box "Enable virtual LAN identification for management operating system

3. Please assign the VLAN number of the VM to the Hyper-V host computer

4. Please try to ping the Hyper-V host computer within the VM in the same VLAN, you can also try to ping the VM from the Hyper-V host computer.

By the way, you can also create a new VM and then connect it to the virtual network where the previous VM connected to and then assign it the same VLAN number, ping each other within the VMs, then we can narrow down the influence of the Cisco switch.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Monday, May 24, 2010 8:57 AM
  • We're an HP shop here, but I think this information could be useful (we run R2 DC edition, and also 3560 switches):

1) We had to use the HP NCU (network config utility) to create virtual interfaces in Windows (each virtual interface bound to a VLAN).

2) In Hyper-V, we had to create virtual networks connected to each virtual Ethernet interface.

3) VM virtual NICs are attached to the virtual networks AND the correct VLAN tag had to be specified for each VM.

Not ideal, but the above definitely works for us.

Monday, May 24, 2010 6:49 PM
  • We're an HP shop here, but I think this information could be useful (we run R2 DC edition, and also 3560 switches):

1) We had to use the HP NCU (network config utility) to create virtual interfaces in Windows (each virtual interface bound to a VLAN).

2) In Hyper-V, we had to create virtual networks connected to each virtual Ethernet interface.

3) VM virtual NICs are attached to the virtual networks AND the correct VLAN tag had to be specified for each VM.

Not ideal, but the above definitely works for us.

We had to do this too with R1 of Hyper-V. Since moving to R2 I haven't had to do this any more.
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 3:40 AM
  • Jeremy, that is very interesting. Please can you describe your setup (servers, switches)?
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 4:15 AM