none
Where is Shutdown button in Windows Server 2012 Release Candidate ?

Question

• Where is Shutdown button in Windows Server 2012 Release Candidate ? does that exists ?

I know how to shutdown through cli but would prefer a good old button to do that job !

Don't be a prick ! Be reasonable and provide your feedback. Say something whether the suggestion was helpful or not, mark a reply as answer or click on to vote helpful if any suggestion really helps you, don't leave that choice to moderators, let the credit go to a contributor who has invested his precious time on your questions. Please be informed that, moderators are also humans and they also make mistakes ;-) Last but not the least, Unmark as answer if any post doesn't answer your question/s !!!

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 10:39 AM

Answers

• Move mouse to bottom right of screen - selelect "Settings" Cog wheel, then you have the "Power" button near the bottom.

Shut down in the same way you shut down a Windows 8 workstation.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 10:42 AM
  • Move mouse to bottom right of screen adjacent to clock, and then move the mouse up and click on Cong wheel.

This will open following menu to select different options. Select the Power button

Hope this will help.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 1:05 PM

All replies

• Move mouse to bottom right of screen - selelect "Settings" Cog wheel, then you have the "Power" button near the bottom.

Shut down in the same way you shut down a Windows 8 workstation.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 10:42 AM
  • Cool, Thanks Lester !

New versions of OS always make me blind at first glance ;-)

Don't be a prick ! Be reasonable and provide your feedback. Say something whether the suggestion was helpful or not, mark a reply as answer or click on to vote helpful if any suggestion really helps you, don't leave that choice to moderators, let the credit go to a contributor who has invested his precious time on your questions. Please be informed that, moderators are also humans and they also make mistakes ;-) Last but not the least, Unmark as answer if any post doesn't answer your question/s !!!

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 10:49 AM
  • Move mouse to bottom right of screen adjacent to clock, and then move the mouse up and click on Cong wheel.

This will open following menu to select different options. Select the Power button

Hope this will help.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 1:05 PM
  • Thx, makhan27

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 1:08 PM
  • Thanks!

Cheers.

• Edited by Dave_Yoomax Thursday, June 28, 2012 3:50 AM
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 3:49 AM
  • The fact that someone had to ask this question just demonstrates how bad this new UI is...

My website (free apps I've written for IT Pro's) : www.cjwdev.co.uk My blog: cjwdev.wordpress.com

Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:58 PM
  • Thanks!

Thursday, June 28, 2012 9:15 PM
  • The fact that someone had to ask this question just demonstrates how bad this new UI is...

My website (free apps I've written for IT Pro's) : www.cjwdev.co.uk My blog: cjwdev.wordpress.com

Agreed...
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 6:52 PM

Agreed...

I disagree. Win 95 added click here to start because people didn't know and it was great.
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 8:41 PM

Agreed...

I disagree. Win 95 added click here to start because people didn't know and it was great.

Windows 95 was radically different than Windows 3.1, and it was a positive change.

The Metro UI has no business on a server. It's a negative change, just for change sake.

Monday, July 16, 2012 7:46 PM
  • Or you can do window key+C and cog...
    Tuesday, July 17, 2012 8:13 PM
  • Also, Win+I works, it saves you exactly one mouse click as this opens "Settings" directly.

I'm okay with the new UI, but they could have made shutting down servers /rebooting a little bit easier. Try and hit that "sweet spot" inside a KVM session with "unstable" mouse and no way to send Winkey combinations...

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 3:28 PM
  • I've been making the same points about lack of accessibility when using lights-out / KVM in Server 2012 here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserver8gen/thread/446638d2-b043-4d53-a141-f6742f607d56

There's usually some web app that runs in a window to connect to KVM. It often has a laggy/imprecise mouse, which makes hitting a 4x4 pixel target almost impossible - particularly with a high resolution screen. It usually won't have a way to send the Windows key or key combinations.

So getting to the basics (start screen, power options, settings) is a real problem. The reason you're using KVM is because you need to change or debug something - e.g. initial OS install, networking reconfiguration, system recovery. In these cases, RDP or remote server management aren't applicable - you need a usable GUI via console.

This is a basic need for a server OS, on a machine that is expected to run in a data center or a remote office.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 5:03 PM
  • Completely agree with you David. I've already been (un)fortunate enoguh to setup a few Hyper-V hosts doing the initial install in a BladeCenter remote console. Not pretty. My arm ached afterwards...

Let's see what they cook for RTM....

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 5:30 PM
  • Also, Win+I works, it saves you exactly one mouse click as this opens "Settings" directly.

I'm okay with the new UI, but they could have made shutting down servers /rebooting a little bit easier. Try and hit that "sweet spot" inside a KVM session with "unstable" mouse and no way to send Winkey combinations...

Alt+F4 still works for the sign out--shutdown dialog, as long as no window has focus.

You can click on the desktop to "lose focus".

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 10:50 PM
  • Or you can do window key+C and cog...

Which doesnt work unless you are physcially on the console. If you are RDP'd, ILO'ed, etc into a server, those hotkeys tend to not work because those command keys are passed to the LOCAL server or workstation, not the remote one.

Monday, July 23, 2012 1:52 PM
  • I've been making the same points about lack of accessibility when using lights-out / KVM in Server 2012 here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserver8gen/thread/446638d2-b043-4d53-a141-f6742f607d56

There's usually some web app that runs in a window to connect to KVM. It often has a laggy/imprecise mouse, which makes hitting a 4x4 pixel target almost impossible - particularly with a high resolution screen. It usually won't have a way to send the Windows key or key combinations.

So getting to the basics (start screen, power options, settings) is a real problem. The reason you're using KVM is because you need to change or debug something - e.g. initial OS install, networking reconfiguration, system recovery. In these cases, RDP or remote server management aren't applicable - you need a usable GUI via console.

This is a basic need for a server OS, on a machine that is expected to run in a data center or a remote office.

Exactly... the designers of the UI fail to realize we run from the server console such a small percentage of the time. Always from RDP, remote client or something like ILO, which does not have that precice mouse and cannot pass windows keys.
    Monday, July 23, 2012 1:54 PM
  • I have found that some of the Windows+key shortcuts can also be expressed as an Alt+key combination for use in KVMs, for example Alt+Home brings up the Start Window.  You may have to map it as a macro or something, as the actual key combination might not be sent to the KVM, although I have found some Alt+key combinatinos that work directly in a KVM window.  But, I haven't found a complete list of the Alt+key combinations. sigh

tim

Monday, July 23, 2012 3:44 PM
  • Please stop complaining about the Server 2012 UI and just have your users use PowerShell.

Friday, September 07, 2012 4:26 PM
  • I couldn't find the shutdown either Stupid ui Did find power shell and ran shutdown
    Monday, October 08, 2012 7:00 PM
  • Top or bottom right corner, Settings, Power, Shutdown.

It's SO easy! It only takes 2 or 3 times as long as it did in S2008, but, since you get paid by the hour, MS is doing you a favor.

Powershell nerds rule!
    I couldn't find the shutdown either Stupid ui Did find power shell and ran shutdown

Tomás Mason
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 8:43 AM
  • I agree, they shouldn't have moved it, not intuitive.
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 6:44 PM
  • Ha!
    This thread is actually hilarious!! 

BUT I'm only reading it because I could not figure out how to shutdown Windows Server 2012 Essentials!
    (also over remote session to complicate matters)

Have NEVER needed to look for help for how to shut down a system before!

I was stuck after logging off in Server 2012 Essentials by clicking on username (no shutdown option so figured I had to logoff first). Figured it would be an easy shutdown from there but actually had to log back on and use markhan27's method! :(

Of course the command shell would have worked too.

Thanks!!

Saturday, December 15, 2012 6:36 PM
  • It really is ridiculous. I was using a Server 2012 VM the other day and even having shut down a 2012 VM before I still couldn't remember or figure out exactly where I needed to put my mouse to make the settings menu appear. I'm sorry Microsoft but this really is a joke, along with the unnecessarily small area that you have to get the mouse over to make the start menu appear... why couldn't that be the same size as the "show desktop" area/button on the far right of the task bar? It would take up no extra space and would be easier to hit. 

Also, it is pretty funny that Microsoft's own IT Pro scripting team say this:

"In Windows 8, without a Start button, properly shutting down or rebooting Windows can be a bit of a chore. Many users want to shut down or reboot Windows in just one click. This script enables users to click on a tile to shut down, reboot or log off Windows on the Start menu."

Quoted from: http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Create-a-ShutdownRestartLog-37c8111d

• Edited by Chris128 Sunday, January 27, 2013 6:39 PM
    Saturday, December 15, 2012 11:26 PM
  • Go Figure at least there was "One Genius" for user experience
    Wednesday, May 08, 2013 9:45 PM
  • Yes its working...Great

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 9:31 AM
  • I agree 100 %. Why do Micro$oft have to move around everything just because they release a new version of the OS?? It's like Ubuntu would change the name of their commands in CLI everytime there's a new version of Ubuntu. It's great that M$ comes out with new OS and features, but why the hell do they have to change everything around in the GUI every freakin' time..?
    Wednesday, August 28, 2013 6:49 AM
  • Thank you for the answer.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 7:34 AM
  • Thank you very much.

With Best Regards, Mani

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 8:48 AM
  • Why does Microsoft have to make this OS so damn NON-intuitive?  Why do they have to make it so "CUTE" and "aerodynamic" by hiding everything and making you go find it? 

I guess everything is moving to support tablets and point-and-click is becoming obsolete.

Wednesday, April 02, 2014 9:04 PM