PING Transmit Failed General Failure

Question

• Hi Guys

Have a strange problem.

Got a Windows Server 2008 R2 server. When this server is set up with a static IP address, i am unable to connect to any other resources, internet, file shares, etc.

When i ping, i get PING: Transmit Failed General Failure.

Other Machines can ping this server.

DHCP resolves this issue, but as it runs IIS with multiple sites as host headers, i really need this to work with Static IPs.

I have already disabled IPv6, but this is the same.

Any thoughts?

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 11:44 AM

Answers

• I have resolved to configuring reservations in DHCP and pointing various CNAMEs at the server.
    • Marked as answer by pabs1983 Thursday, May 13, 2010 2:10 PM
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 2:10 PM

All replies

• I have this same problem 2008 R2.  When I log on as the local or domain administrator everything works fine.  When I login as a domain user who has been given local administrator rights I get the the following error when I try to ping.

"Unable to contact IP driver. General Failure"

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 8:22 PM
  • Is the machine physical or virtual?

Are you able to ping local host and the loopback ip 127.0.0.1?

Does the issue persist if you assign a different ip that has not been assigned to anyone else in the network?

While trying to assign a static ip adress to the client could you please try to statically assign the same ip address assigned by the DHCP server after making a reservation in Dhcp asnd check the functionality?

Goto the Device Manager - Choose the view menu and Select Show Hidden devices - Expand Non Plug and Play Drivers - Check if "TCP/IP Protocol Driver" shows the correct status(if you double click TCP/IP Protocol Driver, it should say "the device is working properly" under device status).

A Netmon capture when trying to ping other machines coul also help to identify the issue.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 3:25 AM
  • I resolved my problem by running sysprep  C:\windows\system32\sysprep  (check the generate option)

The root cause was a duplicate SID issue.  The system was a virutal machine that I had copied.  Taking it out of the domain, running sysprep, then rejoining the domain resolved the issue.

• Marked as answer by Miles Zhang Thursday, May 13, 2010 6:55 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by pabs1983 Thursday, May 13, 2010 9:40 AM
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 3:37 AM
  • I can ping successfully ping 127.0.0.1. I have tried the sysprep method, still no luck.

I am now having some more issues because of this. This server is running as webserver, we have part of our intranet running on it, and users are unable to use their windows login details on this section, as the server is unable to communicate outboud. For some reason, the web page displays from remote locations, however, locally, it doesn't.

This is a really strange issue.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 9:43 AM
  • Also, the server works fine when set to DHCP address
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 10:07 AM
  • The machine is Physical

I am able to ping 127.0.0.1

Issue persists with ANY static IP tried, even when plugged into our RnD network on seperate subnet.

TCP/IP Protocol Driver is working properly.

I will sort a NETMon file now, and post later.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 10:10 AM
  • I have resolved to configuring reservations in DHCP and pointing various CNAMEs at the server.
    • Marked as answer by pabs1983 Thursday, May 13, 2010 2:10 PM
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 2:10 PM
  • Hi,For best PING report status use this http://www.whoisxy.com/  site's Ping Options, this free site also provide an number of information about IP ,domain ,etc .visit here for more details.All the best. 
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 12:53 PM