none
WDS: Cannot upload image to WDS server

Question

• I am trying to capture an image off an coputer through WDS.

I followed the instructions in another post here:

1. Install the WDS Server role
    2. Launch the WDS MMC (from the Administrative Tools Menu)
    3. Right-click the server and choose 'Configure Server'. Step through the wizard.
    4. Choose to add images to the server (the check box on the finish page of the 'Configure Server' wizard). Point to the Longhorn Server DVD (or the contents of the DVD on a network share / folder).

And if you want to deploy XP images in .WIM format
    5. Right-click the Windows PE image in the 'boot' folder and choose 'Create Capture Image'. The output of this command is a customized version of Windows PE that will launch the WDS Image Capture utility instead of setup.exe.
    6. Add the .WIM file created in step#5 back to the server by right-clicking on the 'Boot' node and choosing 'Add Boot Image'.
    7. Install XP onto a reference machine (client computer)
    8. Install some apps / do some customizations
    9. Run sysprep (available in deploy.cab from your XP SP2 media)
    10. PXE boot the reference machine against the WDS server.
    11. Select the WDS Image Capture Windows PE image from the boot menu.
    12. Complete the wizard to capture the XP SP2 image and upload it to the WDS Server.

In addition I added the nic driver to the capture image usin imagex and peimg.

I boot on network, select the correct image. Starts the wizard and select partition to image.

But when I type server name, and selects Connect, I cannot connect to the server.
    Get en timeout.
    Tryed with servername, FQDN, and IP. Nothing works.

Regards

Aage Borgund

Tuesday, November 14, 2006 9:30 AM

Answers

• Do you know what build of Windows PE you are using? You can check this by pressing Shift+F10 within the WDS Capture and typing 'ver'. Also, from within this command-prompt you can check for network connectivity by -

a. Running IPCONFIG

b. Pinging the server

c. Running 'wpeutil InitialzeNetwork' to start up networking (pressing the 'Connect' button should do this, but there might have been some issue)

After performing the above, you should be able to narrow down the problem to either an issue starting networking on the local machine or a connectivity issue with the server and go from there...

Thanks -

--Scott

Thursday, December 07, 2006 2:23 AM

All replies

• Do you know what build of Windows PE you are using? You can check this by pressing Shift+F10 within the WDS Capture and typing 'ver'. Also, from within this command-prompt you can check for network connectivity by -

a. Running IPCONFIG

b. Pinging the server

c. Running 'wpeutil InitialzeNetwork' to start up networking (pressing the 'Connect' button should do this, but there might have been some issue)

After performing the above, you should be able to narrow down the problem to either an issue starting networking on the local machine or a connectivity issue with the server and go from there...

Thanks -

--Scott

Thursday, December 07, 2006 2:23 AM
  •  

Hi,

I am having the same issue with the WDS capture Wizard.  I fill out the wizard and connect successfully however the Finish Button is greyed out.

I was able to map a drive via the command prompt and upload it to the server, however I was wondering if there is a true fix to this issue.

My winpe version is: 6.0.6000.

Thanks,

Hairfarmer

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 6:47 PM
  • Hi Hairfarmer,

What you'll need to do is first specify somewhere to save the image file locally. It'll then be uploaded to the server automatically. The reason we do this is to avoid corruption of the image due to network glitches.

Hope this helps,
    Jez

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 9:55 PM
  •  

Thanks for the clarification.

Now a new issue, but I will put that in its own thread.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 11:27 PM
  • So when i try to capture XP Images this way on our oldest PC's which have 8GB Hard Disks and 6GB of this is used up in the image i need to upload ONLY to network as there is no space locally to store the image then upload. How do i overcome this? I know they are small hard disks, but there is nothing stopping this problem on bigger disks, for example, 40GB disk with a 30GB image. You would need a 60 Gig + Disk there. Why why when RIS worked so well did you replace it with somthing worse, RIS only needed a few features adding.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 2:55 PM
  • If you don't have enough local storage available and can't connect some kind of removable storage, you can mount a network drive locally (via net use) and specify that as the "local" location. This isn't recommended due to the potential network corruption issues, but it should work.
    Wednesday, March 21, 2007 5:54 PM
  • That's pretty crappy.

Normally, you'd partition the drive of a PC to use all the available space... you're suggesting that we "waste" space by creating an empty, unused partition just to hold our image on a temporary basis...  that's a waste, and shows poor planning and design for the product.

Your reasoning for not using a network location is also flawed -- it's not like you're connecting to a LUN on an iSCSI array where a few lost packets would result in a bad image -- you're talking about mapping a network drive.  You're using CIFS -- it's no more risky than saving an excel spreadsheet to a mapped network drive from your desktop.  Unless your network is a complete piece of *** and goes down frequently or experiences massive packet loss, there really should be no risk.  The downside to it is that it will be slower than it should be (because now you're copying to the network and when you're finished, YOU GET TO COPY IT TO THE NETWORK AGAIN!) 

Your design appears to be epicly flawed.  If I could upload images using RIS/RIP, and I can upload images using ghost, I should be able to do this with WDS, without attaching an additional hard drive everytime I want to create a new image.  It's a seemingly rediculous requirement.

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 10:35 PM
  • .WIM images are file-based, not sector based, so if you have enough free space on the partition you are capturing you can save the image to there. WDS is designed as an OS deployment tool, and typically the OS will not take up more than 50% of the total partition space. You do not need to "waste" disk space by having a whole empty partition.

The reason we differ from RIS is that our image store puts multiple images in a shared "resource wim" file. This means that if there's a network problem, the whole image group may be broken.

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 10:47 PM
  • Hi

I am having the same problem. Did Zingy managed to sort out the problem? If so please provide details.

Reading a post from Jez and followed some of his instruction I found out in Setupapi.app.log that my Network card is beeing loaded properly and no oerrors yet I still get the " Specified location cannot be reached...." error.

According to messege and other posts, this is an issue with Network Card Drivers not beeing loaded.

According to me Setupapi.app.log, Network card driver has been loaded "successfully" and it recognised the NIC correctly.

Is there any way to get round this problem?

Thanks

Thursday, April 05, 2007 12:08 PM
  •  Jez Sadler - MS wrote:

.WIM images are file-based, not sector based, so if you have enough free space on the partition you are capturing you can save the image to there. WDS is designed as an OS deployment tool, and typically the OS will not take up more than 50% of the total partition space. You do not need to "waste" disk space by having a whole empty partition.

The reason we differ from RIS is that our image store puts multiple images in a shared "resource wim" file. This means that if there's a network problem, the whole image group may be broken.

You totaly lost me here, as I see the same issue Hairfarmer does.  I do end up saving it to C:\Temp, but it nevernautomaticly copies itself up to the server.  I always have to wait until the copmuter boots back up and then manualy copy the wim file to the server.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 7:45 PM
  • I'm hoping Jez or others are still following this thread...

I have 2 PCs which successfully create an image, but both fail (repeatedly) at the upload stage.  To get around this we reinstalled Windows on top of the sysprepped PC, mapped to the WDS image store, and did a file transfer of the wim image.

However, when I try to boot either PC it fails after selecting the "install image" with an apparent server connection problem: WDS Client: an error occurred trying to connect to the WDS server.

Yet if we boot to Windows we can ping the server OK.  Any clues?

James.

Thursday, August 16, 2007 12:58 PM
  • I can't get to the WDS capture wizard to come up - how do I get it working

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 9:10 PM
  • I'm having the same Problem as the orignal poster, and I tried the things that you mentioned Scott, and wasn't able to trace the problem to anything in particular.  I pulled up a command prompt and checked IP config and it is getting an IP address that is valid.  I can ping the server, and I ran wpeutil InitializeNetwork and that ran successfully.  But when I enter the ip address or the dns name of the server, I receive an error message that it couldn't connect to the server.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Christian
    Wednesday, August 29, 2007 4:12 PM
  •  Eric-H wrote:

Jez Sadler - MS wrote:

.WIM images are file-based, not sector based, so if you have enough free space on the partition you are capturing you can save the image to there. WDS is designed as an OS deployment tool, and typically the OS will not take up more than 50% of the total partition space. You do not need to "waste" disk space by having a whole empty partition.

You totaly lost me here, as I see the same issue Hairfarmer does.  I do end up saving it to C:\Temp, but it nevernautomaticly copies itself up to the server.  I always have to wait until the copmuter boots back up and then manualy copy the wim file to the server.

I figured out this issue.  You must save the image localy and connect to the server.  So, first choose a local path and file name. Then select your server [servername or IP] Click connect.  Then select your group.  Now you will have the finish button and will capture the image.  Once the image file is created, it will automaticly copy into your WDS server.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 4:24 PM
  • I have the same problem...
    I'm having so much problem with WDS and XP Sad

I'm looking for some one to STEP BY STEP write it down for me :/ I searched through whole internet, but I do not get AT ALL thore resaults that u're getting.

I'm using Windows R2 2003 with WDS installed.
    I windows XP which I wish to pull down to Image.

I followed 4 different Guidlines and none of them worked.

Is this Subject still active?

I'm almost begging for help Sad
    Friday, August 31, 2007 10:35 AM
  • Has anyone found a solution to this problem?  I am having the same issue with WDS and XP Tablet edition. 
    Tuesday, September 04, 2007 12:58 PM
  • Hey Everyone

I stopped following my threads after I got my WDS working, just wanted to see what's new and I see a lot of people in need of help.

As far as I can see this thread is dead lol. From here onwards I will keep an eye on this and try to help as much as I can

NOTE: I am not a MS personal or WDS pro, I am just an user/Tech who got a working WDS and would be more than happy to help others if I can.

Here is what I have done to get a WDS working:

1. Install SP2

2. Ran WDS wizzard for the first time and put in the recommended setting. My WDS is on the same server as DHCP/DNS/DC. If the wizzard asks you to choose such and such option because you have DHCP on the same server then do it, don't go post a threat bout "what to do if you are asked to do something"

3. Got hold of windows Vista x32

4. added boot image to WDS server (open WDS MMC and down to your server, right click INSTALL IMAGE and choose ADD BOOT IMAGE, brown to "dvd drive" and find Install.wim in the SOURCE folder of the DVD. Give the image a idiot-proof obvious name like "Installation Image", because later on you will have to know which image does what for you. Follow the wizzard through and finish it. Now we have a Boot image, this image will be used to boot up a bare-bone or network pc to install an image from WDS server. For the sake of confusiong I will call the boot image "Installation Image".

5. right click on "Installation Image" and choose CREATE CAPTURE BOOT IMAGE (this is the image which will launch a wizzard allowing you to capture an Image and transfer to WDS Server). I will refer to this image is "Capture Image" due to mental issues.

EVERYTHING SHOULD BE OK SO FAR. IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG STATE WHAT WENT WRONG AND AT WHICH STEP IN THE NEXT POST

6. right click on Install Images on WDS MMC and choose Add Image Group. I will be refering this to "Image Group" to save myself.

7. Grab a PC that has XP installed, which you don't mind trashing if things go bad. I will call this PC a "Client" to save my little brain from passing out.

8. Extract support tool from XP disk onto "Client" and run Setupmgr.exe from the extracted location. Create a fully unattended syspre answer file and provide all the details and then save it on \\server\REMINST\Images\Image Group\Sysprep\sysprep.inf. Create the sysprep folder if necessary. A copy of that sysprep will be saved on c:\sysprep\sysprep.inf AUTOMATICALLY, don't mess bout with it-just leave it alone lol

9. run sysprep.exe on "Client" from extracted XP support tools. Choose mini-setup, reseal and select restart from the drop down list at the bottom.

10. Network boot "Client" and you will have multiple options, 1of which will be "INSTALLATION IMAGE" and another will be "CAPTURE IMAGE".

11. choose "CAPTURE IMAGE" and it will give you a wizzard. Select C:\ as Drive, give it a name like Bill Gates and an image discription like Bill Gates Image, tick the Upload Image to WDS server tick-box, type in the server name, it will pop-up with a credintial box after a few days.

12. type in username in the following format username@domain.com and password as you would do normally. After that select an Image group and WAIT!!!!! get a big cup of coffee and a box of doughnuts.

13. Once your ready to watch the pain dry for an hour to 2 hours HIT ENTER !!!

*Congratulations*

Upto this point this should be straight foward unless your NIC is not supported by WDS. If you have un-supported NIC search for it in MS homepage, I trashed all the PCs which had Pre Bill Gates NIC blammed it on Microsft saying "there is a new update for server which have to use in order to stay secure, but this update rejects out-dated hardware". This is kind of Bull-Sh*t but, that's what it does lol

Ok, back to the point . Installing an Image to network booted PC

1. Network-boot a PC

2. choose "Installation Image"

3. choose country and provide credintial as before

4. choose an image from which every group you wish

5. format the disk so it does not save old junkies

6. install image

7. go for a smoke break or whatever, it will take arround 45 mins. Remember that sysprep I told you to leave alone? Yes, that will provide all the needed answers to the installations and will be deleted after installation. remember the copy we saved at \\server\reminst\Images\Image group\Syspre\Sysprep.inf? Well, this will save you time in the long run. Next time you wana capture a XP image just put that sysprep folder on the new "Client" c:\ and runsysprep.exe. You dnt need to create an answer file everytime because we tucked it away safe

This is what i have done to get my WDS working, I did have a look at some of the other things like create independant hal-free image and mount image - unmount image, all those new terms started a war inside my brain so i trashed it and got a new one from eBay. I don't want to trash another brain.

WELL, all the best people. I have shared all that I could, I will leave the rest up-to your capability. I will check back and see if I can help further.

Peace

Wednesday, September 05, 2007 9:10 AM
  • after playing with this for HOURS, and not being able to figure out why on earth the image wouldn't copy to the server, i tried one last thing - changing the network cable.

apparently the entire switch i was plugged into was going bad, and would die when trying to transfer large files across the network.

i plugged myself into a different switch, and the thing works flawlessly.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 11:49 AM
  • hi, i too had this issue, and have now put together  a guide which lists all the steps I took to get it to work (capture an image using WDS)

here's the guide

cheers
    anyweb
    Thursday, December 27, 2007 12:18 PM
  • So I keep getting a cannot connect to server error.

When I run IPCONFIG I get: Windows IP Configuration as a response

When I try to ping the server I get the following error: PING: transmit failed, error code 1231

Any suggestions as to what the issue might be?

Friday, January 25, 2008 10:13 PM
  •  I found the work around for what I think most were experiencing.

The first Boot.Wim I was using was from the server. It was version 6.0.6001 from 2008 server. I thought there might be something wrong with this image after battling with it for 2 days.

I used the one from the Vista install which was version 6.0.6000. One version older and VIOLA !! right in. there was absolutely no delay in the network login screen and it started copying just as soon as I hit finish.

For those having the same issues. Give this a try and see if it doesn't help.

Friday, March 07, 2008 3:33 PM
  • Scott, if your still keeping an eye on this thread, I'm having trouble getting to my WDS server. I've had it configured before and have captured and deployed images to a Dell Optiplex 745.  Since then we've moved to 755's, and I've injected the boot.wim with the needed drivers for the new hardware, and recreated the capture wim.  Created a new machine with everything on it sysprepped it and I'm able to boot to PXE capture the volume but when I click on connect it times out.  I've got the local path setup and chose to save it up to the server.  I've run through wpeutil initializenetwork and it completes.  I even get an IP address when I PXE boot.  So I'm not sure why I'm not able to connect to the server.  When I do the shift f10, I can't ping the server and an IPCONFIG returns nothing.  i'm stumped on this one and can't understand why I had a working WDS server and now I don't.

Mike

Monday, April 07, 2008 11:26 PM
  •  

Hi,

for everybody that are having problems connecting to the WDS server in the Capture image window. I have found one solution.

The problem is the LAN driver missing in the WindowsPE boot image. You can add the driver in the booting image or you can load it later. So if you know you can't connect to upload the image to WDS then download the LAN driver for your network card, put it on a floppy or USB. Start the image capture process. Before you connect to WDS server start a command window with Shift+F10. Ping the server IP. If times out or you get an error, load the driver with drvload *****.ini where *****.ini is the file on the floppy corresponding to your LAN driver. You can use USB as well to store driver files on but I didn't try that. You should receive an ‘Successfully loaded driver’ message. Now you have to initialize the network card with the command 'wpeutil InitializeNetwork'. You will receive a ‘Command completed successfully’. Now you should be able to ping the WDS server. You can continue the process of capturing the XP image as stated in other tutorials. I worked on the Virtual PC trying to test WDS. If you do so you need only use ‘Local Only’ adapter as network card. In my VirtualPc I captured a floppy image with network drivers on it. (you can create the image with winimage) I used this link http://www.network-drivers.com/drivers/22/22752.htm to download the driver for Intel 21145 network adapter emulated in the VirtualPc (unpack and use the NDIS50 folder to create the floppy image). Change to a: and type drvload NET21X4.INF. After the driver loads with the proper notice you have to initialize the network card with the command 'wpeutil InitializeNetwork'. Now the ping to WDS server should receive replies. That’s it!

Lucian

Monday, November 17, 2008 11:40 AM
  • its works perfectly.i tried the process which you mention.
    bingo.....!!!!
    its started.
    thanks lot....!!!!

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:45 AM
  • You also can inject the nic driver permanently into windows PE and Vista's boot.wim. Here is how you do it!

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserversetup/thread/b841bda5-507b-4eca-a44a-2b9a69d13f62

Mike PD

Monday, December 07, 2009 3:00 PM
  • for me drvload doesn't work. Actually it says driver sucessfuly installed but when I try to ping WDS server in each try I get unsucessful attemps.

After all my tries I decide to find the exe of network adaptor card . Copy it to a flash memory> Reload again the deployment server > press Shift+f10 > in commad promt > Enter G: the memory drive > run the exe of netowork adaptor > it will begin installation of NIC> Close> Now you are done you should ping the WDS server>

I hope this will work for all those who looking for solution of NIC driver.

Cheers

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 1:04 PM