none
System Recovery Option is not compatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair

Question

• I have an IBM Blade Server running 2008 6002 SP2 x64 installation that we were attempting to repair the issue of not being able to connect to and install updates from the WSUS.

Using the following support document step by step starting with Method 1.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2509997

Method 5 killed the server. It now begins the boot process up until the "Configuring Stage 3 of 3 Updates 0% and then reboots repeatedly in the same way.

When I boot to the install disk " SW_DVD5_Windows_Svr_2008w_SP2_English_x64_DC_EE_SE_X15-41371" and choose repair your computer. I get the "This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair" message.  I've actually tried a few other 2008 discs but get the same error.

Please tell me it's something simple... but I know it's not. This is a server essential to recover intact. It was the backup server amongst other things. As far as I know we have no ability to do a bare metal restore.

From reading the forums am I correct in assuming I cannot create a recovery disc from just any other installation using the same version?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 9:14 PM

Answers

• Hey,

Thanks for responding.

Actually I could not get into the OS or boot to safe mode or an install disk successfully. LKG did not work either. It just rebooted over and over.

Prior to doing anything we were having the following issues.

1) Unable to connect to the WSUS and receive updates any longer. "Error 800800005"

2) System log consistently showed  "The Windows Modules Installer service terminated unexpectedly" Restarting service

3) Application log consistently showed "Faulting Application Trusted Installer"

After going through many forum suggestions in trying to resolve it. The last one was this Method 5 listed.

I'm running an IBM HS22 blade and I was finally able to boot to an install CD by adding the "legacy only" selection to the top of boot manager instead of stripping the boot manager down to HD's and that seemed to work for some folks in the forum.

However I did still have to call MS support and it was resolved to a corrupt pending.xml file located in C:\Windows\winsxs

Issue was resolved to a corrupt pending action.xml  which is a file that queue's changes to the OS to be executed during the restart cycle. This put the server in a continual rebooting loop. The file was renamed, the server booted correctly and pending updates to the OS completed successfully. The original WSUS update issue is resolved as well.

I reviewed the logs from the rebooting period and there are various SMagent messages in the Application Log and Kernel Processor Power messages in the System Log "Processor x exposes the following" 3 idle, 6 performance, 0 throttle states.

Of course logs are pretty clean and the server is running fine at this time.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 5:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

From the description, the steps causes the issue is the Method 5 in the article, which deleted some registry keys.

As it is caused by registry edit, you could test the Last Known Good Configuration. This article is for Windows XP but steps are the same:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852

Meanwhile, as it reboot in installing update page, I also think if the computer could be boot into Safe Mode.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 7:14 AM
  • Hey,

Thanks for responding.

Actually I could not get into the OS or boot to safe mode or an install disk successfully. LKG did not work either. It just rebooted over and over.

Prior to doing anything we were having the following issues.

1) Unable to connect to the WSUS and receive updates any longer. "Error 800800005"

2) System log consistently showed  "The Windows Modules Installer service terminated unexpectedly" Restarting service

3) Application log consistently showed "Faulting Application Trusted Installer"

After going through many forum suggestions in trying to resolve it. The last one was this Method 5 listed.

I'm running an IBM HS22 blade and I was finally able to boot to an install CD by adding the "legacy only" selection to the top of boot manager instead of stripping the boot manager down to HD's and that seemed to work for some folks in the forum.

However I did still have to call MS support and it was resolved to a corrupt pending.xml file located in C:\Windows\winsxs

Issue was resolved to a corrupt pending action.xml  which is a file that queue's changes to the OS to be executed during the restart cycle. This put the server in a continual rebooting loop. The file was renamed, the server booted correctly and pending updates to the OS completed successfully. The original WSUS update issue is resolved as well.

I reviewed the logs from the rebooting period and there are various SMagent messages in the Application Log and Kernel Processor Power messages in the System Log "Processor x exposes the following" 3 idle, 6 performance, 0 throttle states.

Of course logs are pretty clean and the server is running fine at this time.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 5:02 PM
  • Hi,

It's glad to see that the reboot issue is fixed by MS support.

At current situation is there any other issue with the system? If the WSUS issue still exists, you could post a new thread to WSUS forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverwsus/threads

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 17, 2013 8:26 AM