none
OLD NT 4.0 UNC REDIRECT to NEW SERVER

Question

• I have some old applications which reference an NT 4.0 share \\server\sharename\ I copied the files to a 2003 server, shared it out as the same name and created a dns entry from the old NT server name to the new 2003 server. When I ping the old server name the correct IP of the 2003 server is returned but if I try to browse UNC using the old server name, nothing is returned.  How do I configure this share so I can use the old UNC on a newer server with a different name. I can't change the name of the server.
    Wednesday, May 01, 2013 5:23 PM

Answers

All replies

• Several questions in the order of how they jumped into my mind:

1) When you "copied" the share, did you also make sure you reinstated the proper share permissions and NTFS rights?

2) Is the old NT box offline?

3) Are you still using WINS?  You may have an issue with the old NETBIOS name pointing in the wrong direction.

4) Do you get any kind of error message at all?

5) You, "created a dns entry from the old NT server name to the new 2003 server".  Is the new servername the same as the old one or, did you created a CNAME entry?

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 5:42 PM
  • Several questions in the order of how they jumped into my mind:

1) When you "copied" the share, did you also make sure you reinstated the proper share permissions and NTFS rights?

2) Is the old NT box offline?

3) Are you still using WINS?  You may have an issue with the old NETBIOS name pointing in the wrong direction.

4) Do you get any kind of error message at all?

5) You, "created a dns entry from the old NT server name to the new 2003 server".  Is the new servername the same as the old one or, did you created a CNAME entry?

1) Yes, permissions are fine

2) Yes, but I can bring it back on-line but I took it off-line and removed it from AD and DNS

3) No WINS

4) No error message, I just  created a CNAME entry from oldserver.domain.com to go to newserver.domain.com and when I put \\oldserver\sharename nothing comes back, if I put \\oldserver.domain.com\ nothing comes back.. This can't be that hard.. 

5) CNAME, I can't rename the new server.

Thanks.

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 10:22 PM
  • You need a registry hack in your NT, lanman drop connection that does not come from it's computer name configured locally by default. 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters

DisableStrictNameChecking (DWORD) to 1

MCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring

Twitter - @yagmoth555 ()
    Blog: http://www.jabea.net | http://blogs.technet.com/b/wikininjas/

Thursday, May 02, 2013 2:05 AM
  • workaround

add cname with the same name of the old server

or change the host file with the new ip address

Thursday, May 02, 2013 7:41 AM
  • OK, then

We do not want or need to put the old box back online.

Can you connect and see anything using \\<IPaddress>\sharename?

If so, we look at possible name resolution issues.  Were the old server and the new server in the same "domain.com"?

Thursday, May 02, 2013 1:29 PM