none
Configure a Windows 2003 PDC to connect to a NTP server

Question

• I manage a closed network and we are considering buying a GPS based NTP server to use as an authorative time source for our domain. I have been told that I will have to load a third-party time synchonization application, like the one offered by "time tools", on my PDC because Windows 2003 won't/can't synch with "real" NTP server.

It seems to me that all I need to do is to configure the PDC to synch to the IP or DNS name of the NTP server using W32tm. But the engineer that is providing the NTP solution insists that a third-party app is necessary.

So, can I just use Windows Time Service to update my PDC time or do I have to install this additonal piece of software?

Thursday, October 21, 2010 8:03 PM

Answers

• I myself have in various implementations have setup the PDC emulator to sync with an internal NTP server.  No additional software required.  As long as the clock you are buying is network capable and will respond on port 123, then the PDC emulator should be able to sync.

Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
    • Proposed as answer by Tiger Li Thursday, October 28, 2010 9:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tiger Li Thursday, November 04, 2010 2:52 AM
    Friday, October 22, 2010 12:51 AM
  • If your PDC Emulator is not synching with a "real" NTP server (assuming you mean an external time source), it may be a perimeter firewall block, not allowing UDP 123 to the PDC Emulator. What type of firewall is in place?

As far as using a 3rd party time service internally, I agree with JM. There's no need to install additional software. Just a matter of running a command on the PDC Emulator (using 10.10.10.20 as the time service you've installed) to tell it where to get it's time source:

w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:10.10.10.20 /syncfromflags:manual /reliable:yes /update

Ace

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Microsoft Certified Trainer
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Friday, October 22, 2010 2:29 AM
  • Hello,

please check out my article about time configuration:

http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/archive/2010/06/27/time-configuration-in-a-windows-domain.aspx

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 9:10 AM

All replies

• I myself have in various implementations have setup the PDC emulator to sync with an internal NTP server.  No additional software required.  As long as the clock you are buying is network capable and will respond on port 123, then the PDC emulator should be able to sync.

Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
    Friday, October 22, 2010 12:51 AM
  • If your PDC Emulator is not synching with a "real" NTP server (assuming you mean an external time source), it may be a perimeter firewall block, not allowing UDP 123 to the PDC Emulator. What type of firewall is in place?

As far as using a 3rd party time service internally, I agree with JM. There's no need to install additional software. Just a matter of running a command on the PDC Emulator (using 10.10.10.20 as the time service you've installed) to tell it where to get it's time source:

w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:10.10.10.20 /syncfromflags:manual /reliable:yes /update

Ace

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Microsoft Certified Trainer
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Friday, October 22, 2010 2:29 AM
  • Hi,

I agree with JM and Ace,

What i thought that you might consult with this engineer and finger out what's the reason that the third party application required ?

Perhaps some additional  features should be implemented via this application ….

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, October 22, 2010 7:19 AM
  • Hello,

please check out my article about time configuration:

http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/archive/2010/06/27/time-configuration-in-a-windows-domain.aspx

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 9:10 AM