none
Server 8 Won't Boot After Hyper-V Install

Question

• I recently downloaded the Windows Server 8 beta, I wanted to play with Hyper-V.  I setup a second partition on my i7 at home and loaded it up.  The installation was clean without any issues.  After starting up the server (in both full GUI and a reload in Core) I am unable to get Hyper-V to work.  I will complete the full Hyper-V role installation and the system will reboot, and then hang.  I have tried this from full GUI and from a Core installation.  I have verified that my i7 has EPT (SLAT) and I have all the virtualization enabled in the BIOS.  I have tried to do a bit of recovery on my install but I never am able to get very far.  I have wiped the drive, and reloaded a total of 3 times and had the exact same outcome every time; lock up on reboot after installation.  I thought maybe it just needed some extra time to sort out the added role and just let it go overnight.  In the morning it was still locked up on the reboot.  To be more specific, it is at the point where I have the fish on the screen and the dots going around in a circle (until it freezes).  

I want to add that I have also tried a 'pure' beta without updates and also tried updating before hand.  Same results.  I have done a bit of research on this issue and I am confident my machine meets the minimum requirements.  i7-950 with 12GB of RAM. 

Has anyone else experienced this?

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 10:48 PM

Answers

• Upgrading BIOS sounds like a great idea.

Just in case if that does not fix, this might be the known issue that has occured on Gigabyte motherboard. Not sure if this is the case but if it is, try to disable USB 3.0 in the BIOS for the time being.

For this case, I think that the fix should probably come from the firmware vendor.

• Marked as answer by wisdumx64 Friday, March 30, 2012 12:10 AM
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 1:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Windows Server 8 Beta doesn’t need SLAT.

By the way, it seems that this is a compatibility issue, have you tried to upgrade BIOS to the latest version to see whether you get the same issue?

Vincent Hu

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 4:24 AM
  • Upgrading BIOS sounds like a great idea.

Just in case if that does not fix, this might be the known issue that has occured on Gigabyte motherboard. Not sure if this is the case but if it is, try to disable USB 3.0 in the BIOS for the time being.

For this case, I think that the fix should probably come from the firmware vendor.

• Marked as answer by wisdumx64 Friday, March 30, 2012 12:10 AM
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 1:09 AM
  • Thanks for the tip!!  I am currently running a Gigabyte motherboard with USB3.0.  I will give that a shot tomorrow and post back with the results.  Thanks again.

Thursday, March 29, 2012 4:44 AM
  • Solved:  I disabled USB3.0 host and everything is happy now.  thanks for the tip!

Friday, March 30, 2012 12:10 AM
  • On installing Windows Server 8 Beta (with GIgabyte motherboard) after enable Hyper-V sever failed to start.

Motherboard has the latest Bios F4 , and after disable USB 3.0 problem solved as llho Ye suggest correctly.

Disable USB 3.0 worked and save the problem in my case.

P Velachoutakos

Saturday, April 28, 2012 1:42 PM
  • Thanks for the help.  I have a GA-P55A-UD3 (F11 BIOS) board and it had same problem; just froze after installing hyper-v for server 2012 final.  Disabled the usb 3.0 controller and im back in business.
    Wednesday, September 05, 2012 12:53 AM
  • Same hang on boot with a Z68MA-D2H-B3 - BIOS update didn't help, but USB 3 disablement did.
    Friday, September 07, 2012 7:45 AM
  • This worked for me too but I *REALLY* want USB3. I keep checking but there's no BIOS update available. Any idea why Hyper-V causes this when the normal server works fine? Is there another work-around? I don't need USB3 under the virtual machines - it's just for backups :) ...but USB3 is a world away from USB2 for backups.
    Monday, September 10, 2012 1:26 PM
  • If you have the Z68MA-D2H-B3 board, go here and get the UEFI update.

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3975#bios

UEFI is the BIOS replacement. Once that is done you can use USB 3.0 with Win8 and Hyper-V. Oh, and the computer boots about twice as fast. At least that was my experience.  There is a list of Gigabyte utilities that need to be removed first, so read the instructions well.

"(Note) Some GIGABYTE utilities are not supported under UEFI BIOS architecture. Please remove Smart6, Dynamic Energy Saver, Smart TPM, and Touch BIOS utilities before updating the BIOS."

I used a FreeDOS bootable USB to apply the update, since you can't do it from inside Windows or through the BIOS updater.

http://rufus.akeo.ie/

You may need a clean re-install Win8 afterwards. I did it out of habit, so I don't know if it will pick up the changes and work without it. Back your stuff up first just in case you do.

Tuesday, October 02, 2012 2:28 AM