none
Windows Server Backup, Completed with warnings

Question

• I am using "Windows Server Backup" on a Windows Server 2008 R2 to backup files to other local disk partitions. (One local disk partition for each backup to keep the .VHD files less than 2 TB). Total space for the selected files for each backup are less than 2 TB. From time to time I get an error like "Error in rename of <some filename>\ during backup: Error [0x80070002] The system cannot find the file specified."  I suspect it has to do with activity on the filesystem that is backed up. At night when very few people are using the computer, there is normally no errors or warnings. I find this strange because a "shadow copy" is taken of the filesystem to be backed up before the file copying is starded. As I understand it a shadow copy is also taken of the local filesystem where the backup is stored before the file copying is started. I assume that the backup is O.K. except for the failed files, but because of the warnings, the next backup is run as a full backup which takes more than 12 hours instead of an incremental backup which normally takes less than 30 minutes. I may have one explanation for the warnings and that is that when I select which directories to back up, this selection is expanded to a list of files to back up before the "shadow copy" is made. Some of the files on the list is then deleted by the user before the "shadow copy" is made, but I don't know. Any ideas ?

Friday, May 25, 2012 9:20 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

That KB is maybe a good try to start

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979281

And last thing, that forum thread

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsbackup/thread/6656de18-23c2-45d8-b5a2-7a8e2d6613dd/

I will quote SriramB from that thread,"We have found that this issue could happen when the file rename is happening very close to the shadow copy creation (Windows Server Backup creates shadow copy on the source volumes which are being backed up). I believe subsequent backup would run as full & succeed."

If it's your problem, maybe this is a solution.

Jeff Ren TechNet Community Support beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, June 01, 2012 2:28 AM
  • Jeff Ren

Thank You very much for Your answer.

Yes, I think that "this issue could happen when the file rename is happening very close to the shadow copy creation".

Yes, the next backup is normally run as a full backup & succeeds.

The backup with warnings is probably a good backup (only a few files are missing). The main issue is that the next backup is a full backup and takes a long time to complete. As long as I manage to take one backup of all the files I need to back up (I have to run 3 "start/wait wbadmin start backup <backup parameters>" commands sequentially to back up all files due to the 2 TB limit) in 24 hours, it is not a big issue.

Is it correct that this problem most likely is due to some shortcomings of the "Windows Server Backup" software ? Will this be fixed soon ?

Here are some more details from the backup with warnings and the next backup:

The backup with warnings
    ------------------------
    Description:     Backup
    Backup location: G:
    VSS settings:    VSS Full Backup

Status details
    Start time:       30.05.2012 18:29
    End time:         30.05.2012 18:35
    Data transferred: 12,29 GB

Items
    Name:             D:
    Data Transferred: 12,29 GB
    Backup Type:      Incremental

Errors
    Name:    D:

View list of all failed files:
    Error in rename of D:<I don't want to reveal the actual filename>\ during backup: Error [0x80070002] The system cannot find the file specified.
    Error in rename of D:<another file and so on, total 7 files>\ during backup: Error [0x80070002] The system cannot find the file specified.

The next backup
    ---------------
    Description:     Backup
    Backup location: G:
    VSS settings:    VSS Full Backup

Status details
    Start time:       31.05.2012 15:25
    End time:         01.06.2012 06:08
    Data transferred: 1,24 TB

Items
    Name:             D:
    Data Transferred: 1,24 TB
    Backup Type:      Full

Friday, June 01, 2012 11:03 AM
  • No one  has replied to this question since June 1st. I therefore consider this thread for closed. My impression is that this warning is due to an error or shortcoming of Microsoft's "Windows Server Backup" software.
    • Marked as answer by Anders Gytri Wednesday, June 06, 2012 12:05 PM
    Wednesday, June 06, 2012 12:04 PM