none
After Enabling VMQ on Intel Network Card (ET Dual Pro) on Server 2008 R2 X64 I get Blue Screen after starting a virtual machine

Question

• Hi,

I'll explain my configuration.

I have a NEC Express5800/120-RJ2 Rack Server running Windows Server 2008 R2 X64 Datacenter Edition.

The server has an integrated "Intel Pro/1000 EB Network Connection" Team for management and an intel Gigabit ET Dual Port Server Adapter running as a team as well for the Virtual communication The team has vlan filtering enabled and is connected to a cisco 3750e switch with trunking enabled).

The Settings of the Integrated Card are Default so RSS is enabled. VMQ not possible here.
    The Settings of the ET Dual Port are RSS diabled and VMQ (Virtual Machine Queues) enabled.

The Integrated NIC runs Driver Version 9.13.12.0
    The ET Dual Port runs Driver Version 11.0.103.0

As far as I know these are the latest driver from the 14.5 Driver Set.

When I check in Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2 the Properties of this host it shows that network optimization is enabled and available so VMM sees that VMQ is enabled.

Problem is that when i bind a virtual machine network card to a virtual machine and start it up i get a blue screen on the host server when the virtual driver is loaded or shortly after. The blue screen mentions a driver or less iq problem and vmswitch.sys is also mentioned.

I tried the use VMQ Without teaming but that had the same effect.
    I tried to disable RSS on all network interfaces and even by using netsh but that didn't help either.

VMQ, According to intel, works by mac address or vlan filtering. I use vlan filtering for this test.

Anybody has any idea what i can do about this?

All help very much appreciated.

If you need more info just let me know.

DJITS.
    • Edited by DJITS Thursday, September 24, 2009 1:53 PM
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 1:08 PM

Answers

• Hi DJ,

If you want to perform the further research on the BSOD, I would like to suggest that you contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. Because we need to analyze the crash dump file to narrow down the root cause of the issue. Unfortunately, it is not effective for us to debug the crash dump file here in the forum.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607

Hope the issue will be resolved soon.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Friday, September 25, 2009 9:27 AM

All replies

• First of all - you are using the magical word "team"

The first recommendation is to remove NIC Teaming from you configuration and try again.

This is becuase not all NIC card and driver combinations are Hyper-V happy.  A NIC driver being Server 2008 happy does not mean that it is Hyper-V happy.

Many folks have had to undo their Teaming configuraitons due to driver, card, or Teaming Management software caused problems with Hyper-V.
    In most all cases, breaking the team and / or removing the teaming drivers solved their problems.

You mention using VMQ with the same effect.
    My first reply to this woud be a suspected driver issue.
    Are you using the Windows supploed drivers, or did you install newer or additional drivers from the manufacturer?

I would try the following:
    Break the team and try your configuration again.
    If that does not work, go back to the Windows provided drivers.

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful)
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 3:02 PM
  • Hi,

First of all, Thanx Brian for helping me out.

I tried your suggestion to go back to the official 2008 R2 Networkcard drivers (Version 11.0.35.0), removed the team, put a vlan on one of the adapters and made the virtual network instance again. Then i started my test machine. It worked but i didn't have network. I checked the settings of my virtual machine and saw that vlan identification wasn't enabled. i enabled it. Then i disabled the network adapter in the virtual machine. when i enable the adapter again i get the same blue screen.

I tried the same routine on the driver (Version 11.0.103.0) with the same results.

I tried the same routine with the driver (Version 11.0.103.0) and making the team again with the same results.

I'll continue my investigation.

Maybe our Cisco switch configuration has something to do with it. As long as the network ports on the cisco switch are shutdown vmq works (all though the virtual machine does not have network). I then enable one port and use the troubleshooter. A bit later i get the blue screen again.

The investigation continues.

DJITS.
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 8:55 AM
  • Let me see if I can get some traction from the networking folks.

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful)
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 3:21 PM
  • Hi DJ,

If you want to perform the further research on the BSOD, I would like to suggest that you contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. Because we need to analyze the crash dump file to narrow down the root cause of the issue. Unfortunately, it is not effective for us to debug the crash dump file here in the forum.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607

Hope the issue will be resolved soon.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Friday, September 25, 2009 9:27 AM
  • Hi,

Just for the information.

The same blue screen I also get when running the Server 2008 R2 Datacenter on a Dell Poweredge 2950.

I'm starting a support case with Microsoft as we speak.

Hopefully this can be fixed.

Greets,

DJITS.
    Thursday, October 08, 2009 7:55 AM
  • So DJ, any updates on this issue?
    • Proposed as answer by The Hevy Monday, October 19, 2009 12:54 PM
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 9:07 AM
  • According to the Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V FAQ VMQ does not support NIC teaming drivers.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/1/F2146213-4AC0-4C50-B69A-12428FF0B077/Windows%20Server%202008%20R2%20Hyper-V%20RC%20Public%20%20FAQ.doc

NIC Teaming features including VLANs are not currently supported when VMQ is enable in Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V and can cause a Blue Screens of Death (BSOD) if the both features are enabled in the Intel Network Driver set 14.5.  A new driver set is scheduled for release by the end of October 2009 and it  will not allow this combination to be enabled to avoid accidentally enabling both features. The feature combination will be available when Microsoft officially supports this combination in Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V.

To fix this issue either disconnect the network cables or enter safe mode and disable VMQ or disable Teaming and VLANs in ANS.

Section from Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V FAQ
    Networking Guidance

Q:  What are the VMQ and TCP Chimney offload features?

A:  Windows Server 2008 R2 is being delivered with new optional optimizations to enhance the networking performance of virtual machines.   The networking optimization features are Chimney for Virtual Machines (VM-Chimney) and Virtual Machine Queues (VMQ).   Depending on the NICs available to you and the traffic types you encounter, one or both of these technologies may produce substantial improvements in your networking performance, either through greater bandwidth utilization or, in slower NICs, lower CPU utilization to process the same load.

Both VM-Chimney and VMQ require hardware support. These features are only available when using specific hardware NICs (please refer to the section below for supported NICs).  

NICs: 

For Windows Server 2008 R2 RC,

·         VM-Chimney capable drivers are available on the RC media for the following NICs:

o   Broadcom Net-Xtreme II 1 Gb/s NICs (Models 5706, 5708, and 5709)

o   Broadcom 10Gb/s NICs (Models 57710, 57711)

·         VMQ capable drivers are available on the RC media:

o   Intel Kawela (E1Q) 1 Gb/s NICs (also known as Pro/1000 ET NICs)

o   Intel Oplin NICs (IXE) 10Gb/s NICs (also known as 82598)

To determine which NIC(s) your system has, go to the Windows Device Manager and expand the Network Adapters entry.  If one of the above mentioned Network Adapters is listed, then your host should be capable of using the associated networking optimization feature. 

Drivers for additional NICs that support these features are expected to be available in the RTM timeframe.  Some vendors may produce VMQ-capable or Chimney-capable drivers for their NICs and release them through other channels such as their own support web sites.

Feature interactions:

·         A connection will not be offloaded if it is part of an IPSec rule.

·         Connections may not be available if the Windows Firewall or any other filter driver that requires packet inspection for that particular connection.

·         Currently available NIC teaming drivers do not support the use of either of these features.

·         There are known issues with the in-box 10Gb/s Broadcom NICs with Chimney turned on.

·         VMQ and Chimney may be independently available on separate NICs in the same host machine. 

·         If both Chimney and VMQ are available on the same NIC at the same time, Windows Server 2008 R2 will use VMQ (for Windows Server 2008 R2 RC there are no NICs we are aware of that support both).

Monday, October 19, 2009 12:54 PM
  • Thanks Hevy for the update.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 7:45 AM
  • I just got this information from one of our engineers:

You do not need to use Intel’s Advanced Networking Services (ANS) to configure VLANs in order to test “MAC + VLAN” filtering for VMQ on Intel’s adapters. VLAN filtering for VMQ can be setup by using the “Enable Virtual LAN identification” checkbox in the Hyper-V Virtual Network Manager GUI during creation of the external virtual adapter and/or from the Network Adapter configuration GUI in the setting page for a VM. The VLAN configured in the Hyper-V Virtual Network Manager GUI only applies to the Virtual NIC that is shared by the parent partition. Each VM can be configured in its own VLAN by using the VLAN configuration when setting up the Network Adapter configuration for the VM.

I hope this helps on the VMQ and VLAN configuration since VMQ will help increase performance, especially if you are using 10Gb NICs that support VMDq.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 6:25 PM
  • Hi,

Thanx for your explanation.

It's not the answer I was hoping for but it does help.

I opened a case with microsoft Holland to see what can be done about this. Furthermore I'm also in contact with Intel.

I tested with the new 14.6 driverset but they have the same results.

I'll keep you updated when news arrives.

Greetz,

DJ.
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 7:36 AM
  • Hi,

Do you fix the problem ?

Thursday, March 17, 2011 9:43 AM
  • Hi Christopher,

It can't be solved as far as i know.

What intel did in an updated driver is making it impossible to enable VMQ when a Team is in place. I have no idea if it will be supported in the future. Because i have no idea what is better, teaming with static link aggregation. or the VMQ with network optimization i stick to my teaming.

Good luck with your configuration.

DJITS.

Thursday, March 17, 2011 9:52 AM
  • now it works with new Intel lan-driver 16.4!
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 11:43 AM