none
Can't Open INSTALL.WIM - The specified location contains a Windows image that is not compatible with the current version of Windows.

Question

• So I just installed a new copy of Windows 2008 Standard X86.  I patched the server with all the latest Windows Updates.  Now I want to play around with setting up an automated installed.  So I then install the Windows AIK kit.  Opened up Windows System Image Manager and select the INSTALL.WIM that I copied from the source CD's \Sourcesdirectory.  Whenever I try and select that as an image in Windows System Image Manager, I get the error:

The specified location contains a Windows image that is not compatible with the current version of Windows.

Is this happening because I patched Windows 2008 with the patches from Windows Update?  Are you really telling me its that sensitive?  If I copy the CLG files from \Sources also, I get a message about them being "out of date" and it wants to rebuild them and fails with the same message above.

What gives?
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:35 PM

Answers

• The simple answer is to make sure you have downloaded the right AIK distribution.  As of the time of this post, if you googled just "Windows AIK", the first link provided is a Vista only build from Feb '07.  You obviously need the build that says it includes support for Windows 2008  :)
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 10:43 PM