none
WindowsServer '08 - Making '08 unattended sysprep install ask for product key..

Question

• For vista, it was pretty easy to set up an unattended install configuration file to have the mini-setup ask for a product key.  

<settings pass="windowsPE">
    <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS">
    <UserData>
    <ProductKey>
    <WillShowUI>Always</WillShowUI>
    </ProductKey>
    <AcceptEula>true</AcceptEula>
    </UserData>
    </component>

However, for the life of me, I can't get this to work on 2008.  Anyone have any thoughts on how to make an 'oem image' ask for the product key on start?  (I'm posting in virtualization as that's what i'm doing)

Roxanne Skelly
    Skytap, Inc.
    Wednesday, May 14, 2008 11:59 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Do you mean that you want to use an "OEM image" that you got from the manufacturers to include the unattended file so that it can ask for a product key during the installation? Or you want to create an image using the Setup media of Windows Server 2008? If it's the latter one, may I know where did you get the Setup media? Which type of setup media do you use, retail DVD or volume license media?

Regarding the unattended file, I would like to say that by using this unattended file, the "product key" screen should prompt, ask for a proper product key to continue.

However, please confirm that you have select the Windows Server 2008 image when you created the unattended answer file or, you can attach the whole unattended file here for us to analyze it.

Besides, if you are using some "OEM images", the OEM image may override your own unattended answer file, such as it has already included an unattended file in the image.

You may need to contact the manufacturer for detailed information on this. I am sorry to say that it is not appropriate for us to change this image. Or, if you want, you can get a brand new Setup media (not OEM edition) for this unattended file.

Here is an article about where these unattended files usually are, however, we cannot guarantee this can work and it's at your own risk:

Methods for Running Windows Setup:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/e91be51c-77e1-433a-a733-d9d0e6a2b8411033.mspx?mfr=true

Thank you for your cooperation.

Best regards,

Chang Yin

Monday, May 19, 2008 1:46 AM