none
DHCP Server service disabled by default?

Question

• hello,
    I install the DHCP server role without problems on Core. After this, I add the DHCP server and try build the scope with several netsh commands, but I get "access denied" error messages. From other machine I list the Services MMC, and I see, DHCP Server service state is "Disabled" by default! Why?

I restart Core, but no changes. Certainly, after enable and start service, I configure the scope, activate and DHCP srv work fine.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 10:28 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

The DHCP Server service is disabled by default in case you are domain joined and need to activate it in AD first.

Andrew

• Proposed as answer by Stephen Edgar Monday, June 09, 2008 2:36 AM
    Thursday, November 02, 2006 12:43 AM
  • OK.
    It's understandable, but it's a little bit misleading that the netsh dhcp add server _server_name x.x.x.x command is working perfect and say the server _is_ authorized - in disabled state of service.

Thursday, November 02, 2006 8:50 AM
  • Hi,

Agreed, I'll pass this along to the DHCP team.

Andrew

Thursday, November 02, 2006 4:39 PM
  • Hi,

Did the server get authorized automatically or you did authorization explicitly?

Friday, December 29, 2006 4:28 AM
  • Yes it is...

At first you have to authorize the server in AD

netsh dhcp add server FQDN_DHCP_Server_Name IP_DHCP_Server

After that you have to change the startup configuration like this:

sc config dhcpserver start= auto                             (mention the blank after the "start=" !!!)

now you are able to start the dhcpserver

net start dhcpserver

Control your configuration with net start...

thats it.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 1:38 PM
  •  After authorizing it in AD, and setting the service configuration to "auto" as stated above, for some reason the service will not start when I do, "net start dhcpserver". It fails with there errors,

A system error has occured

System error 50 has occured

The request is not supported.

I am logged in as Domain Admin, I even tried starting the service from the MMC -> Services on another computer, after connecting to the Server Core remotely.

Any idea  whats missing ?

Thanks,
    Saturday, June 07, 2008 6:23 PM