Windows 7 SP1 RTM

General discussion

• Microsoft in Russia has confirmed SP1 has been released to manufacturers. Once OEM users are happy with it it will released generally very soon.

Microsoft is working hard to get SP1 ready to deal with a lengthy list of issues that are already well known here.

Inaugurated! That you for your support for my 2010 MVP!

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Friday, January 14, 2011 4:29 PM

All replies

• Already installed :)

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Friday, January 14, 2011 11:14 PM
  • I am in no rush, I will wait for it to show up on Windows update.

My MVP is for Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT, and I am getting increasingly good with Visual Studio.

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Friday, January 14, 2011 11:19 PM
  • Installed it, no problems so far. However, softpedia already has it posted on their site.

I am a bit confused as to whether this has officially hit the street, I would think that it would be available on the TN download before softpedia gets it.

Saturday, January 15, 2011 10:06 PM
  • I can look in the subscriber area, 1 sec.......

After checking all over, not there. Guess everyone is at home watching the football game.

My MVP is for Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT, and I am getting increasingly good with Visual Studio.

Saturday, January 15, 2011 10:12 PM
  • Wasn't in the subscriber area, really wish MS would throw us TN people a bone once in a while when it comes to SP betas.
    Sunday, January 16, 2011 1:12 AM
  • I am a MVP, so even I am disappointed I was not granted access either.

Oh well, back to football

Sunday, January 16, 2011 1:19 AM
  • They should upload it on Monday, let's wait a bit... They signed it off just in 13th' evening.
    Sunday, January 16, 2011 1:13 PM
  • That is what I am expecting too.

Sunday, January 16, 2011 2:04 PM
  • I am a MVP, so even I am disappointed I was not granted access either.

Oh well, back to football

I'm not disappointed with Microsoft for not making it available for us, I am disappointed it was leaked out of the Russia for one, and two, that Microsoft has not either confirmed or denied it is legitimate. I think it is sad several sites, including windows7forums.com and softpedia have promoted this obviously unauthorized leak and furthermore, for promoting the use of torrents to get it from an unauthorized download site.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT free!
    2007 - 2011

Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    Sunday, January 16, 2011 6:32 PM
  • I wonder what is going on over in Russia compared to other nations that Microsoft has an office in.

They definitely will be in hot water.

Sunday, January 16, 2011 6:34 PM
  • Nothing unusual. Our guy wrote in his blog that SP1 was signed off, and he did this too early. Even if he wouldn't write that post, Wzor has some sources in MS, so the RTM would leak anyway, maybe a little later (yesterday for example). Anyway, I see no criminal in this leak - we all know that build 7601.17514 is RTM and it'll become available to general public in few weeks (in few days for MSDN subscribers I hope :D). Moreover, MS gets early feedbacks and could make a FAQ about problems with installing SP1.
    Sunday, January 16, 2011 10:04 PM
  • I can read Russian and I noticed a remark in a Russian site I visit often. So I checked into it and its confirmed SP1 is  RTM so typically it should be out next update cycle.

That would be Feb 9 based on the 2nd Tuesday that Microsoft generally releases updates.

Sunday, January 16, 2011 10:38 PM
  • Discussing it when it is germain to the current situation is fine. I think it is important that someone reading this know that any download they find is likely to be an unofficial release (leak) and it may not even be final or its source may not be gauranteed. I installed what I thought was an official release from a popular and supposedly reputable download site yet MS is silent on the release. Luckily I only installed this on a test computer but I will be verifying the hash when the official release occurs. If it does not match I will be restoring from an image and installing the official release.
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 4:05 AM
  • I clone my system disk all the time, and I am accumulating more and more disks. Perfect backups are very helpful.

I have advice on this on my IT site.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 4:13 AM
  • Hello.

Does someone know the date when SP1 RTM will be available on MSDN/TechNet?

Thursday, January 27, 2011 7:35 PM
  • no, sorry.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 7:55 PM
  • Could it really be right around the corner now?
    Fast Publish Article sent out over RSS....
    Article ID: 2489240 - Last Review: January 31, 2011 - Revision: 1.0

How to upgrade RemoteFX virtual machines from Beta or RC builds to released build

The following procedure should be used to properly upgrade a Windows Server 2008 R2 RemoteFX server and Windows 7 virtual machine running a prerelease build of Service Pack 1 to the released build of Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 Service Pack 1

Tuesday, February 01, 2011 7:44 AM
  • Most likely SP1 will be able to automatically remove beta dn RC releases so it should be easier to get it out there.

If not, its easy enough to remove the RC from the installed programs list.

Tuesday, February 01, 2011 1:55 PM
  • Most likely SP1 will be able to automatically remove beta dn RC releases so it should be easier to get it out there.

No, that is not likely at all.

Robin Walker
    Tuesday, February 01, 2011 2:12 PM

If not, its easy enough to remove the RC from the installed programs list.

If Win 7 SP1 is treated like SP1 for Vista was it will depend on how the SP1 Beta or RC was installed.

If the patch was installed to allow Microsoft Update to install SP1 then it should uninstall it for RTM.  However, if it was installed via the full SP1 file download without the patch, then it will almost certainly be required to uninstall it via the Installed Programs utility. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, February 01, 2011 2:13 PM

No, that is not likely at all.

Robin Walker

correct. Vegan write things, like 99% of his replies, he don't understand.

Tuesday, February 01, 2011 2:51 PM
  • Im still not buying this as it seems really out of character for Microsoft. Previously someone from the US would be stating it on  their blog. Plus it's never been this long before it arrived on MSDN/TechNet. It's just a service pack. It's not like piracy is a concern. I will be shocked if this is the real thing. Somebody's changing tact within and wasting everyone's time by keeping it secret. It was finished in November??? Just doesnt add up.
    Tuesday, February 01, 2011 8:33 PM
  • Spftpedia has posted a note on their site that Microsoft asked them to remove it. About 500,000 downloads were already done by the time they yanked it.

Tuesday, February 01, 2011 8:42 PM
  • wonder how much longer till Microsoft releases it officially? now that they have used WZOR to beta test it for them :)
    Saturday, February 05, 2011 9:00 PM
  • there is nothing wrong with its  leakings since it its really what it is  ( not  fake but  originally geniune ) , i bet 50 %  of Windows Seven users have got updated their systemt to the " not yet released "  sp 1 signed off rtm . As my own opitnion , leaking is not the same as stealing  ,its more like getthing the thing wich is not " available " or " released " yet .

I wonder why  do MS is actiong like a secret  society of something like that  ,as they are  making this  major update available freely to anyone in time , but now its like strickly classified 

Wzor , remidns me a  song  form a movie where the  gang were singin a song with lyrics like  "  we just bringin the art to the people "

SP1 RTM  , powered by Microsoft ,  brought to u  by WZOR . Bring the Art to the People

Monday, February 07, 2011 1:56 PM