none
Unable to see the users in "Local users and groups" MMC

Question

• Unable to see the users in "Local users and groups" MMC. When we click on groups in MMC it throws the attached error.

Looks like the computer is not able to fetch the SIDs or something.... Please help!

This is Windows Server 2008 R2 Sp1

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 1:23 PM

All replies

• If the server is a Domain Controller, there will be no local users or groups. Does this account for what you experience?

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 2:45 PM
  • What if you type LUSRMGR.MSC in Run?

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 3:33 PM
  • as Richard suggested it looks like your server is a Domain controller, if you run LUSRMGR.MSC as ArnavSharma suggests and you are on a DC the error message will say "The computer 'computername' is a domain controller. then you should open the Active Directory Uses and Computers snap-in as the error message will suggest.

Though if your server is not a DC you should start by analysing you event log.

Regards,
    Fabio

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 4:02 PM
  • Hi ,

If this is a DC: If this is a Domain Controller, the you cannot access this sap in.

If this is not a DC: Please try accessing using LUSRMGR.MSC

If you still not accessing check if there are any related logs are generating in event viewer.

Please check and get back to us to provide you the more information.

Regards, Prakash Nimmala Skype : Prakash.Nimmala Email ID : prakash.nimmala@hotmail.com Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Vote As Helpful & click on Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 4:13 PM
  • This is a web server and not a DC. When i run LUSRMGR.MSC it opens the Local Users and Groups MMC, but in the users list there is no user available however when you run the command net user you will see the list of all users. And when you click on Groups it will throw you the error as the screenshot provided above. There's nothing in event logs. It was working before and all of a sudden start throwing this error. 

Please find the content of SAM.LOG file attached.

Monday, April 01, 2013 11:00 AM
  • Run following commands from elevated cmd (run as Admin), reboot the server in question and see if that makes any difference

net localgroup "Administrators" "NT Authority\Network Service" /add
    net localgroup "Administrators" "NT Authority\Local Service" /add

Also, looking at the snapshot, it appears that some files have gone bad. From elevated cmd, run sfc /scannow 

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Alternate Text Vote As Helpful & click on Alternate Text Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

Interview with a Wiki Ninja: Santosh Bhandarkar, Windows Server and Directory Service Expert

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 3:06 AM
  • The first solution didn't worked. I am a bit afraid about running sfc /scannow because it is a production server. And sometimes after this command the server never comes up. I just wanna know if this command is fool proof.
    Tuesday, April 02, 2013 3:09 PM
  • Yes, its safe. You need to reboot once the process is complete.

Check for reference : http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2007/12/18/using-system-file-checker-sfc-to-fix-issues.aspx

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 3:22 PM
  • Yes, its safe. You need to reboot once the process is complete.

Check for reference : http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2007/12/18/using-system-file-checker-sfc-to-fix-issues.aspx

+1

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Alternate Text Vote As Helpful & click on Alternate Text Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

Interview with a Wiki Ninja: Santosh Bhandarkar, Windows Server and Directory Service Expert

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 3:50 PM
  • Any progress ?

Regards, Santosh

Thursday, April 11, 2013 3:57 AM
  • We have escalated the issue to Microsoft Support. As soon as we have the solution I will update here.
    Monday, April 15, 2013 1:35 PM