none
Find highest number of actual simultaneous connections

Question

• Hello,

I'm trying to scope licensing requirements for a third party product. I have plenty of CAL's and people are not being rejected, but we're about to introduce another phase of users who will be connecting at all times of day and night, and I'd like to make sure our third party app is licensed appropriately (its licensed by simultaneous connections).

So I wonder if it is possible query the maximum number of actual simultaneous logins from within Windows?

If not I'll hack out a powershell script to parse the security event logs for logon/logoff events but would rather not waste the time if there's any easy way from within windows. Any suggestions greatly appreciated :-)

Cheers
    Ne

Thursday, March 15, 2012 3:01 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You may use the Terminal Services\Total Sessions performance counter to determine the maximum number of remote desktop sessions.  For example, you could create a data collector with a Stop condition of overall duration of one week, add the Total Sessions counter to it with a sample interval of 10 minutes, and then start the collector.  After a week you can right-click on the collector and choose Latest report and then under Application Counters you will see the maximum for the week (subtract 2 from this for the actual total).

-TP

• Marked as answer by itsne Thursday, March 15, 2012 11:10 PM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 8:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You may use the Terminal Services\Total Sessions performance counter to determine the maximum number of remote desktop sessions.  For example, you could create a data collector with a Stop condition of overall duration of one week, add the Total Sessions counter to it with a sample interval of 10 minutes, and then start the collector.  After a week you can right-click on the collector and choose Latest report and then under Application Counters you will see the maximum for the week (subtract 2 from this for the actual total).

-TP

• Marked as answer by itsne Thursday, March 15, 2012 11:10 PM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 8:19 AM
  • Good idea! Thanks very much.
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 11:10 PM