none
The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume \Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy20.

Question

• How would I find out which drive is the problematic disk?

- 2 x 1 TB drives (C:\ Mirrored). - Ran chkdsk /r went on well.

- 1 x 1 TB drive (E:\) - Ran chkdsk /r went on well

- One external drive USB which gets rotated every day for backup. Have ran chkdsk went on well.

My question is how would I map which drive is the problematic or it is complaining.

• Moved by Ken Warren Thursday, August 25, 2011 2:34 PM off topic for WHS forums (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 1:45 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my research, there are two main reasons to bring about your issue:

I suspect that the HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy may be collapsed.

It is suggested that you delete HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy20, you can use the command line as bellows :

Vssadmin delete shadows /shadow=ShadowId

And then , recreate HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy use the command line as bellows :

Vssadmin create shadow /for={volume}

Secondly , your disks may be collapsed, please following the steps as bellows to troubleshoot your disk:

• The disk might have bad sectors.
    • I/O requests issued by the file system to the disk subsystem might not have been completed successfully.

You can follow this link to verify the disk:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/transform.aspx?ProdName=Windows+Operating+System&ProdVer=5.2.3790.1830&EvtID=55&EvtSrc=ntfs&LCID=1033

Best Regards,

Jeff Ren

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, August 29, 2011 9:32 AM

All replies

• When does this error occur? When backing up a client? When backing up your server? What version of Windows Home Server are you using?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 12:31 PM
  • Envt. Win - 2008 Server Standard edition R2 sp1

This happens while backing up. daily around 8pm.

Thursday, August 25, 2011 2:25 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my research, there are two main reasons to bring about your issue:

I suspect that the HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy may be collapsed.

It is suggested that you delete HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy20, you can use the command line as bellows :

Vssadmin delete shadows /shadow=ShadowId

And then , recreate HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy use the command line as bellows :

Vssadmin create shadow /for={volume}

Secondly , your disks may be collapsed, please following the steps as bellows to troubleshoot your disk:

• The disk might have bad sectors.
    • I/O requests issued by the file system to the disk subsystem might not have been completed successfully.

You can follow this link to verify the disk:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/transform.aspx?ProdName=Windows+Operating+System&ProdVer=5.2.3790.1830&EvtID=55&EvtSrc=ntfs&LCID=1033

Best Regards,

Jeff Ren

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, August 29, 2011 9:32 AM
  • I had this issue rather consistently and found that it was due to a corrupt swap file. I deleted the swap file and moved it to another partition and the problem went away.

Jim Willoughby

• Proposed as answer by jameswil5 Friday, March 16, 2012 4:19 PM
    Friday, March 16, 2012 4:18 PM