none
Install updates on Shutdown stuck

Question

• Hello,

My Windows server 2003  R2 installed Automatic Updates last night.   This morning some of the services were stopped so I looked into what was going on, checking the update log.  I saw that the updates stopped at 3am after Malicious Software removal tool.  I didn't investigate any further, unfortunately, and performed a restart to get everything back up. 

Now the server is stuck at installing updates do not shutdown, for about 1.5 hours.  I am ready to manually power it down, since I think that I have been pretty patient.

I wish I could give more details, but cannot access the logs etc, since it is in shutdown, and I performed the shutdown in RDC.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 1:55 PM

Answers

• Hi Pressed Rat,

Please check whether there’s any error code in %systemroot%\Windowsupdate.log and post it here for further investigation.

If you know which update is causing the issue, can you download it from Microsoft website and install it manually? Let’s see whether that is successful.

Please disable the antivirus software in case of any failure.

If that won’t work, here’s my suggestion.

Rename Software distribution folder:

1)      Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.

2)      In the Services (Local) pane, right-click Automatic Updates, and then click Stop.

3)      Minimize the Services (local) window.

4)      Rename the Windows distribution folder
    Note By default, the Windows distribution folder is located in the drive:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder. In this location, drive is a placeholder for the drive where Windows is installed.

5)      In the Services (Local) pane, right-click Automatic Updates, and then click Start.

6)      Restart the computer, and then run Windows Update again.

Regards,

Karen Ji

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 5:36 AM

All replies

• Restore a performed backup that was done before this night. If you don't have performed backups, proceed by repairing your operating system install.

This should solve your problem.

Best regards.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 2:02 PM
  • did you try last known good configuration?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325375

I hope this information is useful.
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 2:07 PM
  • Hi Pressed Rat,

Please check whether there’s any error code in %systemroot%\Windowsupdate.log and post it here for further investigation.

If you know which update is causing the issue, can you download it from Microsoft website and install it manually? Let’s see whether that is successful.

Please disable the antivirus software in case of any failure.

If that won’t work, here’s my suggestion.

Rename Software distribution folder:

1)      Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.

2)      In the Services (Local) pane, right-click Automatic Updates, and then click Stop.

3)      Minimize the Services (local) window.

4)      Rename the Windows distribution folder
    Note By default, the Windows distribution folder is located in the drive:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder. In this location, drive is a placeholder for the drive where Windows is installed.

5)      In the Services (Local) pane, right-click Automatic Updates, and then click Start.

6)      Restart the computer, and then run Windows Update again.

Regards,

Karen Ji

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 5:36 AM
  • Hello

I am not so computer savy. I usually get automatic updates installed in my computer. I turned the laptop off last night and it showed I needed some updates, well I let it run the updates. It showed there were 13 updates, but it got stuck in number 7. I have turned it off by the off button twice, but it somes back to "DO NOT TURN OFF OR UNPLUG COMPUTER UNTIL UPDATES ARE INSTALLED" It shows 7 of 13 and it shows that it running, but doesn't ever finish installing nor does it let me get out of that manually.

PLEASE HELP!

Friday, May 17, 2013 4:57 AM