none
I am having a problem with Windows 7 Professional backup: The last backup did not complete successfully. A shadow copy could not be created. Please check "VSS" and "SPP" application event logs for more information.

Question

• I am having a problem with Windows 7 Professional 64 bit backup.  I get the following warning:  The last backup did not complete successfully. A shadow copy could not be created.  Please check "VSS" and "SPP" application event logs for more information.  Insufficient storage available to create either the Shadow copy storage file or other Shadow copy data.  Error code:  0x81000019

My primary drive “C” is a 1 TB drive with aprox 200GB used and 70BG of System Reserve.  My backup drive “G” is a 750BG internal drive formatted in NTFS.  I reformatted the backup drive “G” to insure there is enough free space, but the problem persists.  I also tried doing a clean boot with only Microsoft system services and then tried the backup.  It still is not working. 

I am out of ideas and feeling frustrated.  Thanks for your assistance.

Vito

Friday, May 20, 2011 2:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This could be caused by language packs.

Please uninstall all of the unused language packs on your computer. You can do this by clicking Start, and then typing Lpksetup.exe in the Search box and then clicking Lpksetup.exe in the list of programs. Once the Language Pack installer starts, click Uninstall display languages. Uninstall the languages that you do not use, and then restart your computer and restart the backup.

Tim Quan

Monday, May 23, 2011 6:11 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This could be caused by language packs.

Please uninstall all of the unused language packs on your computer. You can do this by clicking Start, and then typing Lpksetup.exe in the Search box and then clicking Lpksetup.exe in the list of programs. Once the Language Pack installer starts, click Uninstall display languages. Uninstall the languages that you do not use, and then restart your computer and restart the backup.

Tim Quan

Monday, May 23, 2011 6:11 AM
  • Tim,

Thank you very much.  I uninstalled all the languages except Italian, French, and German.  Now my backup works. 

What is the connection between the backup and the extra languages?

Thanks again,

Vito

Thursday, May 26, 2011 1:25 PM
  • The cause is that the Backup process involves the system writer that reports files in the important applications installed on the machine. In the case where a large number of language packs is installed, the metadata file reported by this writer becomes huge in size and does not fit the System Reserved volume. This causes backup to fail since there is not enough space for the shadow copy creation. This is not something that you can check on to validate since this metadata file is created during backup and deleted at the end.

Friday, May 27, 2011 2:54 AM